Author Topic: Monty Don - Sponsored by garden centres?  (Read 27569 times)

Deeds

• Half Acre
Re: Monty Don - Sponsored by garden centres?
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2005, 22:24:46 »
Kitty, can I please add my name to your complaint too, tell 'em that Dawn from Cornwall agrees totally with you.

Can you please add, if they are going to talk about bulbs, please get the information from someone who knows what they are talking about .

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2005, 00:25:50 »
John - When you say 'see you under the clock' at GW Live, do you mean a large and practical timepiece...

...or  is it a huge elaborate structure with intricate wrought iron decoration and handpainted face featuring scenes from a Victorian country manor garden and carrying a 50 grand price tag, which will soon appear at Berryfields?

Deeds - your comments have been added to the list.

Anyone else?

;D

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2005, 00:59:01 »
Amazin - I love that description of the clock, made me laugh so hard I scared the cat.

Hope Sarah Raven has a stand there for you to check out, her one at Chelsea last year, was typical of her style of dress. It looked like a dogs breakfast - full of expensive tat.

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2005, 08:06:09 »
Another thought, didn't Alan Titchmarsh own the garden that was featured when he presented the show??

Could it be that he then cared about the plants doing well? being planted in season and actually getting the right info so his garden which is a reflection of his skills looked good?

Oh and he and all of his family had to live with the results? on a day to day basis.

Berryfields and GW in my view is nothing more than a showcase for whatever the garden giants want to make the most profit on.

Oh and another thought, with budgets tight bet all those plants are free samples!
Supernan!!

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2005, 13:59:37 »
I bet monty never even stuck a fork into his perfect little vegetable plot, his little worker ant students done it for him. Ive got to watch it tonight though, just for the crack!!!

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2005, 16:00:22 »
o go on then ::)
i suppose i can watch it just this once...
i can have fun ripping into it later!
i warn you tho-if they spend more than my house value on 3 plants you will be hearing me scream wherever you are.....

i could always stick a fork into his.....perfect little vegetable plot-that'll wake him up!
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2005, 18:25:59 »
Hee hee!  Look what I found

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/make_complaint.shtml

Go on, you know you want to ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2005, 18:40:46 »
o deeds! :-* :-* :-*
and i did!
wheres me twin!
AMAZIN!!!!!!look what deeds found!!!
ace!
and in the first section-what category of programme would you like to complain about...they missed out theselection'S***e programme'
ooooo-i had me some fun theeer! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2005, 20:46:26 »
well by the time they brought all those gadgets for the tomatos they may as well just by them from the shops, that must have cost at least a tenner a plant, ive got four bloody kids to feed!!!! I get the big black pots for free from a freindy guy at somerfield, they have stacks of them they chuck out from the cut flowers they display them in, I get a hot knive and cut a massive circle in the bottom and grow my toms in them, if you need to weed then you dont damage the stems.
i swear this program aims at idiots from the city with to much money and weekend places.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2005, 20:51:24 »
still couldnt bring myself to watch it.....more money than sense  they have!
i use those as well gunnerbee...cept iget them from a local friendly florist-far cheaper and bigger than the plastic plantpots-think what we save! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2005, 21:20:20 »
I like gadgets as much as the next person but why waste money on those? I tried watching it but it was boring and that red haired woman really grates on me. She looks so out of place - especially with that flourescent pink jumper - what was she thinking?  :o

Just been on the beeb website and some person is asking about the copper rings that they saw on GW fed up with slugs eating their hostas.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2005, 22:13:16 »
Like most on here I to hate the programme the presenters do not have a clue what they are talking about half the time, If they are intrested in having a jungle then there is a vacant plot by mind ready made for them, never seen so much rubbish in all my life , GET SOME PROPER GARDENERS ON.
                                                                                                      ;)
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2005, 22:24:09 »
I wonder if part of the problem is that GW is probably trying to aim at the casual vaguely interested type of gardener.  The one who likes looking at pretty plants and gardens and is interested to see a bit of propagation because one day they may aspire to having a go themselves.  That is why it is usually just a half hour programme.  I think it probably serves a use in that market.  The problem is more a lack of decent programming for serious gardeners who want to actually LEARN something and have a bit more depth and to be fair on peak time on BBC Friday night that is not going to happen!  I have only really watched GW for last 3 or 4 years and even then not religiously and despite the very poor presentation since AT left (why does that Sarah woman always wear a very unflattering skirt to garden in?! ???) , I personally don't see much difference in the content.  Always been a bit too bitty for me.

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2005, 00:05:50 »
What about that stupid woman planting tomatoes in the 'Jungle garden'?

Don't either of those women own a comb?  It amazes me how anybody with sense of colour can wear that pink sweater with that awful dyed hair - Ok mine is dyed too, but that colour is sooooo 80's!

Ops thats the pregnant dog streak coming out  ;D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2005, 00:18:29 »
Dear oh dear, a little hormonal are we? :-*

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2005, 00:50:29 »
Well, ill tell you this now, i gave up a poxy cleaning job i had 2 years back, They brought the local manor house as massive weekend home as they lived in London too, they left it empty for months on end. Do you know what their hobby was??? Having friends around for lunch and getting them to help lift potatoes from the garden, She said " my friends were amazed, they have never seen where potatoes come from before, they kept digging and they were totally facinated with all the potatoes that came from the ground". Needless to say they had a very useless full time gardener, who used to spend half his time reading the sport, and totally overpaid him for his tasks!!!! Well me, i just left the job, Complete pathetic imbasiles of people who have never lived in my opinion. Sorry if i offend but its prats like that that are killing our local shops,pubs and local businesses, and destoying allotments to build houses to bring more of the twats in. Sorry again for anyone who is affended. Sarah.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2005, 00:58:22 »
P.s "Thingys" were not in the original script !!!!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2005, 11:01:56 »
Amazin,

You could ask

1. What happened to the bedding plants they showed in the May 6 programme

2. Why some many gardeners on this and many other lists think that the programme is increasing irrelevant (and includes bad advice) - I note that this subject seems to have generated more responses than any other for many a long time!)

3. Why there is no practical advice on how to garden on a low budget (except the annual - see how many plants you can get for £x's worth of seed).

4. Why they quite often get simple facts wrong - slugs are not detered by bran placed around a plant, they eat it and die of dehydration; so place it in small piles, preferably covered to prevent it becoming wetted by rain.

Any more questions for Amazin?

Phil - rather chuffed that I started this thread  ;D

« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 11:05:19 by philcooper »

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2005, 11:12:44 »
'Dear oh dear, a little hormonal are we?  '

Merry Tiller - no I am not, and I take exception to that comment. 

I just object to the rubbish being spouted by so called 'experts' who know little about what they are doing, make shed loads of money (have you seen what Sarah Raven charges?) on the back of a programme that my hard earned money is wasted on.

At least they could spend a little of the money they make on looking presentable,  even if they can't be bothered to get their facts right.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2005, 11:54:44 »
what ever happened to Bob flowerdue??

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal