Author Topic: Hedgehog food  (Read 8010 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Hedgehog food
« on: April 27, 2005, 13:06:06 »
Does anyone put out food for the hedgehogs?I've been given a box of dried hedgehog food but a bit concerned it'll attract rats and mice.Has anyone had any problems with them? :)
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Re: Hedgehog food
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 13:19:30 »
I have fed hedgehogs in the past, but now i dont even feed the birds as it brings in the field mice so for me its not something i do anymore, unfortunately.

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 21:50:03 »
FEED the HOGS!!! ;)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 22:39:53 »
I feed the hedgehogs but usually late summer.  I usually put out Cat food which they enjoy?   plus water.   Not Milk.  they cannot digest milk.   No sign of mice around.

::) ::)

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 23:18:06 »
FEED the HOGS!!! ;)

Definitely Quinny!!

Just ignore the rats and mice and enjoy the hedgies !!  ;D
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 07:57:42 »
I think I'll put out the food I've got...no sense in wasting it. Do I hide it under a bush or just leave it in the open?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 12:04:39 »
Maybe if you give the hh's food they won't eat your slugs  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 13:48:44 »
Its only a small box but I wouldn't buy it on a regular basis.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 11:17:33 »
Thats the priniciple that i work on Wardy, there are enough natural resources particularly in the spring/summer months for our wildlife to survive quite naturally.

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 16:01:26 »
My Hogs usually just clear up any mess left under the bird feeders. They especially like crushed nuts if you want to add any extra for them.
Chriszog

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 17:17:04 »
Nope I don't want to add extra or to feed them at all.I was given it with a pressie..the hog food. just wondering what to do with it...thanks for the suggestions though...Now anyone got any to cure the after effects of a cold..its making me feel worse than the cold did.... :'( :'(

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 19:15:23 »
A good malt whiskey usually does the trick for me (or even better, two or three)  ;D   Keep up your fluids at all costs  ;D ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 20:17:26 »
Hi Val,

I hope your cold has gone and that all is well with Hedgehog.
 :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 10:44:00 »
Thanks...I'm finding it harder to shake stuff off as the years go by :'(..Sorry everyone I sounded really crabby in my post. I've had a few hot toddies and bought some sinus tabs, I do feel better today, got the hairdressers this afternoon, that might perk me up when the mop is off. I've hidden the hog box under the pampass grass , still haven't put the food out...I saw another mickey in the compost bin....oh yuk, so thats put me off.....

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 20:06:29 »
Aawww poor Val.  Hope the visit to the hairdresser perked you up a little.  It always does me, although I only have my hair chopped off, no perm for me.  ::)

I thought I saw something small and black run from underneath my kitchen table under the welsh dresser.  We put down a friendly trap and sure next morning, we had caught a tiny little field mouse and it was good to return to its right environment.

Take care Val  ;) :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 09:40:57 »
Hi Marianne, feel better today thanks, I hate the hairdressers...going...but always feel better when I've had it done, just a cut and a colour, to hide the grey round the sides,, I'm not ready for the blue rinse just yet ;Dalthough I'd love to go a lovely silver, I've still got a lot of skin colour so it wouldn't look right now, just faded. It must be all that gardening, gives a healthy glow ;D. I've just noticed a sparrow pulling my hanging basket to bits.I've used a multi liner from B&Q. and its pulling it apart.  ;DI had wondered why its gone out of shape....now I know, still I hope its babies are nice and comfy.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 20:09:45 »
Val, do you moisten the food before putting it out, would have thought you would.  I would keep it and use it if we have a very dry summer.  That's when I put cat food out for the hedges because there aren't so many slugs for them to eat when it's dry.

MM

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 20:44:48 »
Yes, same with me.  I feed the hedgehogs late summer from August onwards and usually cat food, nice n moist for them.
with a dish of water to go with it!!!

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 10:25:56 »
Thanks , I'll do that, it makes more sense and will build them up for the winter

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 11:50:18 »
If a hedgehog is 450g+ in weight, by the time winter rolls in, then it will be have sufficient fat/bodyweight to hibernate through.

If you see any little, late-litter, hogs ambling about come that time then they will die unless they are provided with suitable garden accommodation & food, or whisked off to a wildlife sanctuary (not many about, and usually already heaving with hundreds of over-wintering late babies).

You are fine feeding them cat food, although this can be a little rich, and a mix of cat food & something like Chappie (dog food) often is a better alternative.... but only if you already have a mixed pet household, otherwise it is expensive & a lot goes to waste, with having two tins open at the same time.

To drink, water only, particularly in summertime - they can dehydrate quickly & die.

If you see a hedgehog wandering about in daylight it is generally a sign that things are far from well. Usual culprits are poisoning, flystrike (especially the little ones), parasite over-load (usually internal, leading to respiratory/pneumonia type problems), dehydration, entanglement in rubbish (check feet for circulation), and trauma due to encounters with cars, pets and people - lots of re-homed 3-legged-amputees about, happily slug-eating in protected gardens.

They are among the toughest of our native wildlife, and can survive parasite and poison loads that would kill most other animals. Give them half a chance, and they surprise you with recovery from the most horrific damage.

I like them.

:)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal