Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 3310 times)

triggerhappy

Where to start?
« on: March 30, 2005, 15:40:26 »
Hi folks - nice forum you've got here!

I picked up the keys to my new allotment this lunchtime and really don't know where to start.

Its a big plot, has been recently rotavated and is free from weeds (aren't I the lucky one), but where do I start??   ???

Lay out borders and paths first?
Put up a shed and have a cuppa?
Get planting?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ta!

Tigs

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 15:52:02 »
Plenty of other 'starting out' posts recently so have a look at those too  :)

You could be planting early potatoes, and chitting second early and maincrop spuds. Broad beans would still be okay, as would peas. Onion sets or seed could go in now, mine have been in for several weeks.

I've also got some lettuces started at home, and some leeks as well.

Decide on whether to have (raised) beds or not. Get some organic matter in to the soil. Start a compost heap.  :)

I personally love looking through seed catalogues, the organic catalogue, kings seeds and dobies are the ones I got this year.

Most importantly enjoy being in the fresh air  ;D But don't forget your suncream  :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 16:02:00 »
Welcome Triggerhappy,lots of peeps will be giving you a helping hand just give it a day or so.  Cheers Rosebud.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 17:34:53 »
ok, i confess i am in the trade, but i actually measured my plot, then worked out on a piece of paper where the beds should go, which orietnation etc. which wasnt so difficult with mine as it's 'bijou' (so nattyem tells me ;)) but if you have a blank canvass it may be worth spending a few days planning your plot before you start planting. plenty of time for that yet :)

dont forget to plan for rotation.
get a good book
'grow your own vegetables' by joy larkcom
or dr hessayan's (sp?) guide to vegetable growing

those are the two i have. i prefer joy larkcom, but consult them both when it comes to spacings and planting times. useful to take an average between these two when they dont agree :D

and dont forget to have fun
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 18:48:13 »
I work on the theory of little and often. I have 2 sites, one I share with a friend and one I have on my own - just me all mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I do a few hours at a time, and don't look at the whole plot as this would outface me.  I have a picture in my head of a very lush oasis of produce - well I can dream can't I?  I have planned a crop rotaion and listed all the seeds that I have bought  And plant according to the packet.  Most of all have fun, keep the Radox handy because you will definitely need it. Talk to your neighbouring 'Lotties' they will have lots of ideas.  Good luck and enjoy, it's heaven on Earth ;D ;D ;D ;D
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 20:32:42 »
ok, i confess i am in the trade, but i actually measured my plot, then worked out on a piece of paper where the beds should go, which orietnation etc. which wasnt so difficult with mine as it's 'bijou' (so nattyem tells me ;)) but if you have a blank canvass it may be worth spending a few days planning your plot before you start planting. plenty of time for that yet :)
dont forget to plan for rotation.
svea

I finally managed to draw up a plan mainly for rotation purposes out of "Paint Shop" I have 19 small beds approx 10ftx4ft and a larger space at the top lefthand corner for spuds (sorry not to scale) a shed at the top middle and a compost bin either side.

I would welcome the more experienced Lottie folk to advise me if my clockwise crop rotation plan would work better if I juggled the veggies around differently? ???
Peeps are welcome to copy the plan if they think it will be of any help. ;D
Click Thumbnail for more detail ;)

Oops! sorry, Edited to say welcome aboard Triggerhappy ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 20:34:52 by Roy Bham UK »

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 21:46:59 »
Even though I'm a newbie to the group and my lottie for that matter, all the literature I read suggest that any sort of rotation is better than none at all.   

Mark

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 22:38:57 »
Shed and cuppa whilst you contemplate your navel......

Welcome triggerhappy.  Clean site huh, lucky you, and just in time for the spring planting.  You still have time for just about anything....I believe you could still get some decent sized onions from sets planted now.

triggerhappy

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 09:03:02 »
Ok, so i've put up the shed with a little patio out front, set up a compost bin and a water butt, set out three veg beds, got the spuds in, sowed carrot, parnip and pea seeds and put in some garlic.   :D

now for the onions....   seeds or sets... which and why?   ???

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 09:19:57 »
I have never used seeds, always sets, so I can't help there but I just wanted to say your progress sounds wonderful, well done.

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 11:02:47 »
I work on the theory of little and often. I have 2 sites, one I share with a friend and one I have on my own - just me all mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I do a few hours at a time, and don't look at the whole plot as this would outface me.  I have a picture in my head of a very lush oasis of produce - well I can dream can't I? 

Have to agree, a neighbouring lottie bloke came to see me the other day and recommended that i do no more than half an hour of digging then go and do something else, or i would get bored and uninterested. I have to say i think he's right. Little and often is definately the future. My plot has come on so much since i got it a few months ago with just doing an hour here and an hour there. I think if you go down to your lottie with nothing in mind to do you just end up pottering about, but if you go down with something specific in mind to do you will get more done.

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 11:03:48 »
How does this quote thingy work? last post didnt quite come out right. ???

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 11:05:32 »
Press the "quote" button on the actual post you want to quote  ;D

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 11:07:50 »
Thought i did that but my post actually ended up being part of the quoted item  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 11:26:41 »
I agree that the Joy Larkcom book is EXCELLENT. Best resource you could ask for that you can have to hand at the lottie.

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 20:49:00 »
my post actually ended up being part of the quoted item

Move your cursor to after sq bracket solidus quote close sq bracket.

Then 2 returns,

and start typing.
Good gardening!

John

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 21:01:59 »
I have just bought Grow Your Own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom.  Really didn't know which one to choose but now reading some of the above I'm glad I decided on that one.  ;D

MM

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 22:06:02 »
I too have GYO by Joy Larkcom and it's a great book!!

Welcome TH, sounds like you are making great progress. After clearing our plot I put up a shed and some pallet compost bins. I then planted a soft fruit area with Rasps, white/black currants, gooseberries and some rhubarb.

I flung some onion sets and shallots in (don't think it's too late for either), I'm no expert but I would say go for sets as mine are all shooting well and the seeds I set 2 months ago are still very small - in unheated greenhouse.

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 22:12:27 by Mothy »

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 10:31:31 »
Wow triggerhappy sounds like you're going great guns already  ;D

I do ten minutes usually of any job as I have a back prob (ouch).  I know it's a bit of a faff sometimes but I'm trying to stick to it.  I break lots of times for a cuppa and a sit down.  While you're sitting you can be looking and thinking and planning  ;D

I'm with Lily and picture my plot (which in real life) is mostly perennial weeds as
a well-ordered, lush green plot bursting at the seems with gorgeous dew speckled veggies, interspersed with colourful annuals.   ;D

It soon will be.  No rush tho .... Think I'll have another cuppa  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal