Author Topic: Allium Leaf Miner  (Read 2720 times)

Plot22

• Half Acre
Allium Leaf Miner
« on: June 02, 2016, 15:56:48 »
Our entire site of 22 allotments has been hit by the onion disease Allium Leaf Miner. No plot that was growing onions set this year has escaped row after row wiped out. The only one to have not caught it on part of his crop was one plot holder growing a couple of rows of Japanese Onions which he set in the Autumn the rest of his have gone under like everyone else.  It is a new one on me some years we suffer from downy mildew but I grow Santero F1 which seems to cope better than most.
Has anyone any experience with Allium Leaf Miner ? I know that there is no cure other than covering the crop which with the volume most of us grow is not really practical.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Allium Leaf Miner
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 17:14:00 »
Feel for you plot22, I got it here for the first time last year, it's a real kicker.

I planned to make an allium cage for this season but never got around to it. So I'm growing in smaller beds and covering those although I've cut right back on what I'm growing this year until I've made my mind up what I'll do in the future.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 17:49:12 »
on our site its my alliums that have been hit hard never had it before leeks also suffered this year
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 18:23:55 »
Hello Plot22.

We've had it on our site for a few years now. I cover mine, but as this doesn't seem an option for you, you could try what some of our plot holders do and that is to start their onions in modules at home with a view to being able to plant out this Spring bank holiday week when the miner fly's first period should be over. They say they still get a reasonable size crop although not as large as those planted earlier. Alternatively, covering some and starting some later. Hope this helps.

Regards

Bluecar

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 22:15:57 »
Johnny, that pic of your Alliums is lovely.
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal