Author Topic: POTATO ONIONS WANTED  (Read 3311 times)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
POTATO ONIONS WANTED
« on: December 14, 2015, 21:08:59 »
I would really love to get some Potato Onions going in my veg  garden , with a view to seriously propagating them , sharing them , for free  and getting them back into our English veg plots .
I know it will take a few years to do this, but I want to have a go .
  I am begging , could someone kindly start me off with even just one or two please ? I,d pay the postage .
 I have been sharing out my Amish walking onions , for free  and I have a few left to swap with , although these will be better now if I send in the Spring  .
 Any ideas I,d be so grateful . Debbie   :coffee2: Private message me thankyou .
Trespassers will be composted !

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: POTATO ONIONS WANTED
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 22:06:51 »
I'm afraid I can't help ... my whole crop put on very little growth and rotted in the ground in such a wet and grey summer.  I put 3 years in to getting them there from seed, but the ones I raised from Kelly Winterton's seeds seemed too fussy for the British weather.

I hope you have better luck in your quest ... they sound like a perfect solution ... I'd love for there to be a potato onion that are well here and made decent sized onions.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 22:28:34 »
You can buy them from here

http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/catalogue2.asp?searchterm=Allium&submitButtonName=Search

Being grown in Scotland should mean they are  well suited for the UK
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 08:29:04 »
Sorry I don't grow them but there is a guy on ebay who sells them and I'm often tempted to give them a go.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/the.onion.man/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 08:30:03 »
Squeezyjohn - I ,m so sorry to hear that !  I,m determined to give it a go too .

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 18:58:29 »
Hallo again , I am now sorted for my Potato Onion Propagation Mission , many thanks !   Hopefully I ,ll get 'em going and then be able to pass them on .  :coffee2:  one very happy Woodypecks  :sunny: ( actually its lashing down with rain here ! )

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 10:49:08 »
Please do save seed if you get any! Even a few seeds could produce something interesting.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal