Author Topic: white rot  (Read 1714 times)

Sarah-b

• Acre
white rot
« on: March 23, 2005, 15:06:48 »
Reading moonbells Wisley story has reminded me of a quesion that has been in my head for ages.
What's to stop me getting white rot via kitchen waste on my compoist heap?
People here really warn against planting any old garlic etc in case of infection- but surely if it's sprouting in the kitchen and then you think "oh I could plant that" and then you think "oh, better not" and pop it on the heap instead - you have achieved nothing?

sb

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: white rot
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 22:53:05 »
You do not want to compost anything that you are suspicious about.  White rot infected alliums will compost lovely, and when you spread that compost on your plot, you will infect vast areas!  If worried about it, I would say bin your onion peelings.

EJ, a white rot sufferer  :'(

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: white rot
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 23:53:48 »
I compost kitchen stuff at home and it goes on the garden, and lottie stuff stays up there. But yes, it's possible that one could tread rots etc up to the lottie. Or bring them in on manure. I guess if we worried that much we'd never grow anything.

The only other way I suppose it to try and sterilise the soil somehow, but that is unorganic. I've heard of folk microwaving soil but can't say I fancy it (or the comments I'd get off Himself!)

*sigh* dilemmas...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal