Author Topic: ouch  (Read 4182 times)

ACE

• Hectare
ouch
« on: May 14, 2014, 12:32:07 »
I lifted a planted up half barrel out of the van last week, not a problem as it was chest height and although it was heavy I only had to wrap my arms around it pull it off the tailboard and lower it to the ground. The next morning I was in agony with a pain in my shoulder and a dead arm. The doc gave me some voltarol but it does not seem to touch it. No sleep, and even sitting in the armchair is uncomfortable. It does not affect my work as I planted 10 trees on Friday and played the squeezebox for most of the day Saturday for the morris dancers on a trip to Horsham.

Since then I have been idle and the nagging ache is now getting a bit tedious. Someone said it could be a frozen shoulder, so does anybody here suffer and how do they get rid of the pain.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: ouch
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 14:58:17 »
I don't, but hubby is in the middle of that sort of problems.
As he have had it before and used to go for physio for it..he knows what he supposed to do with those rubber bands that he was 'described' for some gentle 'exercises'...and now GP put him on some anti-inflammatory  type pain killers for a course too.
Normal painkillers and all those voltarol type 'potions' didn't do anything to help at all.
So far so good....the painkillers he is on work  :icon_cheers:...he's been good boy and done his 'physio'..and he is almost pain free :icon_cheers: From time to time he gets odd little reminder that 'its not all over yet', but other than that he is on full action and there is no getting away from hedge cutting.... :tongue3: :angel11:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 15:07:17 by goodlife »

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 15:02:42 »
Don't think that's a frozen shoulder (which I have had).  Frozen shoulder's don't come on suddenly.

What I think you might have done is trapped a nerve (hence the dead arm) or badly pulled a muscle.  I've found going to a GP for something like that is useless - my late hubby had a lot of back problems and GPs were no use.  The last time he hurt his back, about 6 years ago (he had an op on it some 20 years ago and lost part of two discs), he could barely walk.  Went to a good chiropractor here.  He shuffled in leaning heavily on me and walked back out with a spring in his step.  Really amazing.

If things don't improve in a day or two, seriously consider finding a good chiropractor or osteopath.  A few clicks and you'll be as right as rain again.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 15:53:49 »
I'd get your GP to refer you to a physio but there can be a bit of a wait on the NHS.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 18:38:07 »
Yep osteopath  every time as far as I am concerned.

Good luck and hope it gets better soon.

Bill

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 02:37:42 »
Sometimes round-the-clock anti-inflammatory meds like 800 mg Ibuprophen (if ones stomach can tolerate it) helps when combined with ice / heat.
I was supposed to do ice then heat but found I liked an electric heat pad on my shoulder the best. Whenever I was sitting or lying down I'd plug it in. That really seemed to give me relief and I was soon all better. I hope yours mends quickly.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 10:19:45 »
I too would lean towards a trapped nerve, which really should be seen to quickly. I depspair to hear of the incomptency of the UK medical system! Here in France, you would no doubt have been sent off for an Xray straight away and given a script for physio sessions. I would definitely try and see if you can get an osteopath to look at it. If the nerve is left trapped too long, it can be irreparably damaged. (I know this from having carpal tunnel problems)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 11:49:00 »
What do you mean by "dead arm"? Was it all numb? I assume that went away if you were planting trees later.

Can you raise your arm out to the side slowly and go above shoulder height without pain? If not you might have torn your rotator cuff, but I assume the doctor would have tested for that! With a tear in the rotator cuff one can do certain movements with no trouble, but other movements are impossible without great pain.

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 19:24:14 »
I must say that I am a bit confused Ace, how can you plant trees and play the squeeze box!! That said when I had a frozen shoulder I could move the lower part of my arm and knit it was just the upper arm movement which was affected. I was told to do small movements with my hand and given Naproxen.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 10:01:49 »
I must say that I am a bit confused Ace, how can you plant trees and play the squeeze box!! That said when I had a frozen shoulder I could move the lower part of my arm and knit it was just the upper arm movement which was affected. I was told to do small movements with my hand and given Naproxen.

All the time I am moving it apart from a niggling small ache it is alright. But evening time and trying to sleep it comes on with a vengeance. The doc just got me to wave my arm about and said he would give me a script for voltarole and told me to exercise it, but looking at the little brown pills it says  diclofenac. I could not really understand what he was saying, so I hope he understood me.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 13:02:01 »
He did give you an anti-inflammatory med. To benefit, one must take it round the clock.

Too bad you didn't ask him to write down what you couldn't understand. Could you call his office and ask them to check on his directions? They should be able to do that for you. Tell them you cannot sleep with the pain. That was where I found the heating pad so helpful.

If you don't see an improvement, time for a second opinion with someone you can understand.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 15:41:23 »
Code: [Select]
told me to exercise it
Did he told you 'how'..as wrong movements can make it worst. 'Exercise' in medical/physio terms often means just small corrective movement ..little and often during day...don't go and build some muscles up! He didn't mean exercise like 'Arnie'! :tongue3:

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 15:58:08 »
Diclofenac is the pharmaceutical name.  Voltarol is the trade name.  The same way that Ibuprofen and Nurofen are the same thing...only of course the trade name is more expensive.   Diclofenac is stronger than Ibuprofen.
Good luck
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 18:05:28 »

Too bad you didn't ask him to write down what you couldn't understand.

If he can hardly speak English, I doubt his written word will be much better, have you ever tried to read a prescription written by a doctor anyway?

told me to exercise it
Did he told you 'how'..as wrong movements can make it worst.

Shrug my shoulders I think, unless he was telling me he never had a clue. Wave my arm about, unless he was telling me to bugger off and stop wasting his time. Stretch my arm out and rotate and grasp like he has got me by the short and curlies.

Lifting a pint glass is moderate exercise. I have a massage chair cover that helps a bit but on full vibrate I spill my whiskey and it shakes the filling out of my sarnies.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 18:45:25 »

Lifting a pint glass is moderate exercise. I have a massage chair cover that helps a bit but on full vibrate I spill my whiskey and it shakes the filling out of my sarnies.

Umm...pint and whiskey are MEDICINEs dear... :tongue3:

My Granma used to rub vodka on her aching legs and she was convinced it worked.. :icon_cheers: You cold try that  :toothy10:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 19:57:37 »
I have heard a better pain reliever is to put a bottle of gin in the fridge, When cold enough, drink gin and massage the sprain with the cold bottle.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 20:58:32 »
I had a frozen shoulder from playing tennis and could not get dressed.  Had an Xray which I paid for, and went to the man that manipulates joints, (orthoepath)? whatever, who made it worse, and cost me £40 a session, then told it was chronic. Could not sleep and took the cat to the vet, and was crying with the pain, and the vet said your cat is OK, please don't cry as I couldn't lift the cat out of the carrier,  but I said it was my shoulder and he said why didn't I go to the doctor, which I had. The vet said go back, no-one should suffer like that.  The doctor gave me an injection in my shoulder and it was better the next day.  Next time I have problems the vet knows best.  I do not know what is wrong with you, but get it sorted or ask a vet. (joke). Hope you get better soon, seems that animals get better treatment than people. 

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 21:52:31 »
Ace,
Just carry on with the liquid diet. Works for me, forget all these 'pills' these wimmin are on about.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal