Author Topic: Advice re phone/ tablet  (Read 2151 times)

pumkinlover

Advice re phone/ tablet
« on: January 17, 2014, 13:10:34 »
I've got a Samsung galaxy with internet use, but am tempted by a tablet.
The one we like best is the Nexus7" which we plan to "tether" as it is not 3G. There is a new 3G version coming out soon, and I do not know whether to wait for it or how easy it is to tether with Bluetooth?
Anyway the other question is if I get a Nexus with 3g as well as probably costing more , will I also have to have a second contract and pay for the internet access?
 I would/ could not do that so shall I just get the non- 3G version?
Simple replies would be appreciated
Thanks in anticiaption

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Advice re phone/ tablet
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 14:55:00 »
I have a Nexus 7 (not the brand new version), which I love.  It is the version with a slot for a mobile phone card, but of course you don't have to have it connected to the network permanently.  Mine is on wifi 95% of the time.  I find that a basic GiffGaff data package at only £5 a month is plenty.

The new Nexus has 4G, I see.

The Nexus uses Android Beam rather than generic Bluetooth, which I assume means that if you want to tether it to a phone, you'd need an Android phone.  I'm thinking of getting one of the so-called MiFi devices, which allow sharing of one mobile signal (and therefore one mobile contract) over several devices, but using wifi rather then Bluetooth.  But I've no practical experience of either of these yet, I'm afraid.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 19:40:00 »
Thanks M12

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 08:05:43 »
Maybe a little late here but I have a Nexus 7 and I am very happy with it although I don't use it that much.
I only have Wi-Fi which is very occasionally a pain but I can tether my phone if needed (note that not all operator/phone combos allow tethering)..
My wife has one as well and she loves hers!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 09:06:37 »
I like the Hudl found it very good all round except if skyping with the camera in low light it is a liitle poor.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal