Author Topic: No xmas holiday this year  (Read 1339 times)

ACE

• Hectare
No xmas holiday this year
« on: November 24, 2013, 21:02:03 »
Usually about this time of year I break up for my Xmas break. But as I have retired I have lost my holiday. It was nice to wind Kev up when I stopped, then a bit more when I went back to work next February. I am up to my eyes in all the jobs I have to do which cannot wait. We are having a home made xmas this year so loads of pressies to make. Pickles preserves and stuff like that are all done and the xmas pud and cake has be wrapped up and stored ready for the 'big stuff'. I am experimenting with making garden ornaments out of chicken wire, plans drawn out for bird tables and nesting boxes. Forts, farmhouses and pull along toys for the little'uns. The Yeti in pink knickers is knitting away like mad. One of my boys likes to shoot, so rabbit, pidgeon and pheasant will make a nice game pie. The goose I was going to fatten up failed to materialise so a bloke I know is going to  get me a couple of capons as I am not keen on turkey. It won't be long now as the annual poinsettia came through the door yesterday.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: No xmas holiday this year
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 21:32:22 »
You are right being retired is tiring, I need a holiday.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 22:17:05 »
As we used to say when I lived in Sheffield.
 It's a good life if you don't weaken! "

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:37:05 »
Capons are delicious, I must admit. I did one many years ago and the flesh is really tender and flavours me.
I am just not talented for all those things you mention! I would be ashamed to give a homemade gift I had made as it would be horrible! Anyway we are having a quiet Christmas at home this year. I did make the Christmas pudding though so I have not been entirely lazy. Next week I will go and get a duck's liver to make the foie gras which they like at my place. I have made it three years in a row now and it has turned out very good each time.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal