Author Topic: Computer going slow  (Read 8429 times)

Nigel B

• Hectare
Re: Computer going slow
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 20:03:21 »
Here's what I have now....

AVG have a beta-testing forum where, if you can still join, you get to test next years stuff.
I now run AVG2014 and a program called AVG PC Tuneup 2014, which together keep this old cobbled-together XP machine running as good, if not better, than it ever did!

So, if you are determined enough to find it, create an account and agree to share your opinion and report any crashes (None for me so far at all), you're in. :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 20:29:30 »
My computer is getting slower by the day,How do I find what is running in the background and how do I delete them and stop them happening again please.

If you're on windows - open the start menu and then type msconfig in to the box at the bottom and press return (or on older windows versions click Run then type msconfig in that box)

msconfig is a hidden program that controls (among other things) what things open and run in the background of your computer taking up all it's power.  If you click on the startup tab it lists all the programs that currently start when your computer is turned on - and it gives you the opportunity to uncheck an item to make sure it doesn't load up.  Some of these things are desirable or even essential to the computer's running - so check by searching on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ to see if it's one you can safely remove.

You can also do the same job in the "services" tab - and that will also speed your system up massively.

It's a bit daunting - but you can always re-check the item if you find it's needed.

royforster

• Not So New ...
  • Gardening in SW France
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 20:27:20 »
This software is free and speeds up windows boot time considerably and lets you choose what loads at start-up etc. Best of all, it's free ................. http://download.cnet.com/Soluto/3000-18512_4-75446583.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal