Author Topic: Breaking up Pallets  (Read 13437 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Breaking up Pallets
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2005, 09:19:58 »
Pleased to hear of your pallet patio.  Photo ?  Have you painted it a tasteful colour?  We have collected three pallets so far and want to put them all along the front of our shed to make a deck.  My OH has just put one down in front of the door at the mo but we need more, and like slugcatcher says when you want one you can't find one  ???

When we do finally get them we're painting them green to match the shed.

What's that about a beaker of warm coke?  Tt.  My OH ended the day on the lotty the other night with a can of ice cold lager each.  Happy days  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2005, 09:41:17 »
When  I said 'stunning' it was meant very tongue in cheek.  It should look nice though as we plant to grow an arbour of sweet peas and other climbers over the top.  My OH is obsessed with people staring as we Lotty just off a very main road.  As for me I don't give a hoot if people think I'm weird.  We are even going to BBQ on it in the summer.  Then we will have chilled drinks and proper glasses.  But yesterday the warm coke went down a treat.
Get with the beat Baggy

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 03:36:25 »
If you want pallets it may be worth while canvassing your local industrial estate, especially the smaller companies.   

I took this approach where I live & found that several of the companies just skipped their pallets as they are non-returnable.   The companies were grateful that somebody would take the pallets off their hands as they have to pay to have their skips emptied & the pallets fill up the skips quite quickly.   By taking the pallets of the companies I'm saving them money!!!

One local company is so happy to get rid of their unwanted pallets to me that they even deliver them to me now!!!!   I came home from work the other day & found six large, double sided pallets in my backyard. 

With a little care I should be able to reclaim enough would to make another 12 beds for the plot.   I've split so many pallets recently I'm becoming quite an expert at it (& the neighbours aremstarting to get  used to pallets appearing & disappearing in my backyard)

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

**betty**

• aww life is grand!!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2005, 19:41:12 »
hi,
i am new to this forum, we have an allotment in Glasgow, and we use pallets for everything.
my OH has an allotment, and i have one too but mine is used for my two kids to play as we live in a flat.
My OH has a brother who is a welder and he made  a  pallet popper.lol.
you may laugh. but it works.
we get our pallets from a friends plastic's company and they are sometimes 20' by 8' in size.
so far i have a deck and my OH has a 10' by 8' hut that is 13' high with an apex roof, that has a loft and the kids use to sleep in when we sometimes stay overif the weather is nice and we don't want to walk home.
at the moment my OH is building my kids a hut in my allotment they can use as a playhouse. If I ever find out how to post a pic on this forum i will give you all a look.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2005, 23:35:52 »
How long do you find pallet wood lasts? I'm wary of using it since when I first took my site on it was covered with the rotting remains of beds made up with pallet wood. I burnt the lot and haven't used any since.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2005, 23:48:28 »
Try using a preservative?

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2005, 10:16:28 »
I got 10 single beds that a hotel was skipping and made a single bed size(3high) compo heap with lid. and a surround for my bamboo I have just put in plot. pics on another thread somewhere ;D

Pallets??? Tried taking them apart with crowbar & clawhammer then resulted in sledge hammer follwed by anger then axe >:(

Made great kindling to start the BBQ ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal