Author Topic: Injured Hen  (Read 2583 times)

liefste

• Not So New ...
Injured Hen
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:13:32 »
My smallest Hen has been badly pecked on her head by one of our new hens (we think).. what should I do, seperate her from the others to treat it. But she hates being kept alone as we've tried it before,when she first got bullied by her own nest buddies,

POOR LITTLE THING  :sad3:

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Injured Hen
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 12:31:46 »
It's bound to happen sooner or later as you integrate different birds.  We spray the victim with antiseptic/anti-peck, and leave her with the flock under supervision.  With luck, it'll all settle down, and the smell of the spray will deter the other birds from having another go.  If that doesn't work, then isolate her for a day or two to recover, then reintroduce her with the main culprit removed for, say, 24 hours.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 13:40:53 »
Agree with all the previous advise...I would like to add to that..
If you provide additional food and water sources..it might lessen the chance of the little one getting pecked...act of dominance is often most seen around the important things..like food.

liefste

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 21:07:39 »
It's bound to happen sooner or later as you integrate different birds.  We spray the victim with antiseptic/anti-peck, and leave her with the flock under supervision.  With luck, it'll all settle down, and the smell of the spray will deter the other birds from having another go.  If that doesn't work, then isolate her for a day or two to recover, then reintroduce her with the main culprit removed for, say, 24 hours.

Yes  I actually caught the culprit (poppy) doing it while i was there. Its so horrible to see it happening, she just sits there and endures it. I will have to seperate her, and treat her accordingly with a suitable antiseptic ,  but fear that its only going to happen. I do try to supplement there food with as much variety as possible ie fresh dandelion weeds and let them out to have a wander for a few hours while im on the plot. But obviously can't supervise 24 hrs.
  /quote]

liefste

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 21:18:52 »
Agree with all the previous advise...I would like to add to that..
If you provide additional food and water sources..it might lessen the chance of the little one getting pecked...act of dominance is often most seen around the important things..like food.
[

Yes i will try that, thankyou. May even seperate the  :evil4: /bad one for a couple of days, for being nasty. quote]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal