Author Topic: Looking for some sugarbeet seeds  (Read 7916 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Looking for some sugarbeet seeds
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 11:20:36 »
Well..actually I ended up with 3 different sources  :toothy10: But those were swaps, so I cannot pass any details.
One that I did buy is this... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUGAR-BEET-SEEDS-Naturel-Anatolian-Sugar-Beet-100-seeds-ottomanseeds-/221203277604?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item3380be2724
...although from Turkey..there wasn't no problems with ordering or receiving the seeds....all went smoothly and quite quickly too.

wye not

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 08:57:50 »
That's brilliant goodlife, thankyou I'll order some now   :icon_cheers:I'm really curious as to how the leaves are going to taste.... Happy growing  :sunny:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 09:18:20 »
I was going to grow the leaves for the chickens and the roots for myself... everyone for themselves...I should imagine the leaves are very much like chard (don't like those) so that's why I'm not going to even try the greenery

Christinajomd

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 23:54:01 »
I just planted some Albino beets that I purchased from www.rareseeds.com . In the description, it mentions that they can be used to make sugar.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 09:23:48 »
Goodlife, I'd be keen to hear how you got on with the sugarbeet. It's something I've though about in the past, but never got round to growing.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 15:09:09 »
I'm glad to inform you that my first experience with SB has been success  :icon_cheers:
I haven't had chance to try any roots though. I have bucket of roots dug up and waiting for me outside...so any time now I'm going to do little culinary 'adventure' and see how edible they are. Chickens were very happy with tops  :icon_cheers:
My plan is to leave larger roots into ground and hopefully they will yield new lot of seeds later on.....

Growing itself wasn't anything different to beetroot...SB just need much wider spacing so both, thinning out and sowing very sparsely is necessary. I also made all the effort with ground preparation..and my roots truly has done well.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 16:23:31 »
Sounds interesting. Perhaps those seeds will make it in to next year's seed parcel :-)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 16:36:42 »
Are you aiming to make your own sugar?

Now all you need to do is build a multimillion pound plant to process it.  :toothy10:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 17:37:46 »
Sounds interesting. Perhaps those seeds will make it in to next year's seed parcel :-)

perhaps..... :glasses9:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 17:40:53 »
Are you aiming to make your own sugar?

Now all you need to do is build a multimillion pound plant to process it.  :toothy10:

No, I'm not making it into sugar or syrup, but plan is to try it as vegetable and as 'sweetener' in food.. or amongst pickled beetroot etc.
As for the processing plant....well...I think if I cannot find time for apple crusher and press...venturing sugar manufacturing is out of question too..so little time in one life time... :drunken_smilie:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal