Author Topic: Mantis Tiller Cultivator (2 Stroke) 4hp  (Read 7131 times)

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
Mantis Tiller Cultivator (2 Stroke) 4hp
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:24:05 »
I have recently purchased a Mantis Tiller Cultivator (2 Stroke),4hp, 2ND had but in very good condition it has only been used about 6 times the seller says,and it looks like it too,only a small stone chip on the guard,for use on my garden,to prepare the soil for winter crops,I have never used one of these Tillers,Has anyone used one of these and if so what is the best way to use them,although i have read and heard that they are very useful.My soil is not to bad on the surface,but a lot of clay about 3 inch deep,I'm thinking of maybe putting some sand and compost on it then turn it in with the Tiller.Any advice would be most welcome,many thanks in anticipation of you re replies.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
Re: Mantis Tiller Cultivator (2 Stroke) 4hp
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:43:35 »
I have had a 4 stroke Mantis for about 3 or 4 years and wouldn't be without it.   They have a video on their website http://mantis.uk.com/mantis-4-stroke-deluxe-tiller.asp which demonstrates that you work backwards with it - the opposite to a normal rotavator.   The video shows the new Mantis but the method of use is still the same.   I used mine last week to put in yet more carrots - it produces a lovely fine tilth, ideal for seed sowing.   If you get any problems, give them a ring and they are always willing to help.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 17:50:28 »
You need to dig the area over then till it,it will just bounce all over the place on solid ground unless you have soft soil
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 17:58:15 »
You need to dig the area over then till it,it will just bounce all over the place on solid ground unless you have soft soil
I agree.  I was lucky to have a neighbouring plot holder use his rotavator on my plot to start me off.
Mine moves forward don't know why, but it is very good.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 18:10:40 »
Also a fan here,had ours about 2 seasons and cant fault it,starts every time and does a brilliant job,I agree with the bouncing but I remedy that by first going down each row with a heavy fork and split the soil along the width of the Mantis Tines so that it bites easier in the soil,much less bouncing and easier on the Ol back... ;)

Enjoy yours,there great bits of kit..!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 18:38:46 »
Yes to all of that.

Do remember that a Mantis is a 'tiller' - not a cultivator or rotovator.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 18:40:40 »
We have one here too, great little machine and it works fantastic is raised bed boxes too.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hazelb

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 08:15:04 »
I have one and I love it !

It doesn't replace winter digging, I have an autospade for that  ;D.

It is a tiller, not a rotovator and tills the top 5"-6"

I was confused last year as the on-line vids show people walking backwards behinf the tiller. With mine I walk fowards behind it ( trying not to walk over my nicely tilled ground )

Then I found the answer!!!!!

When it Tills, it pulls forward and digs down, like a mini rotovator,

If you take the tines off and reverse them, it will then act as a culitvator, just turning the top soil and you walk backwards behind it!

Sorted!

Haven't used it that much this year ...as I garden on clay, and it's not keen on heavy wet soil.  :-\

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 08:41:49 »
Thanks for that.  I might try changing the tines round.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal