Author Topic: Allotment funds  (Read 2799 times)

Poolcue

• Half Acre
Allotment funds
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:29:26 »
Had our Society AGM last night and there was 1 point of contention
The Society has approx £19,000 in an account for which we received the princely sum of £10 in interest.
Are there any other legal alternatives to this absymal rate rate of return?

betula

• Hectare
Re: Allotment funds
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:08:13 »
Invest in gold..............you think I am joking ?

:)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:38:46 »
Or better still, invest in fencing, buildings, machinery, or stuff generally. A much better return than a bank or building society.

Seriously, why have you got that much just sitting there? There must be something you need? You could invest in a borehole, still have half left, and never pay a water bill again!

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:38:45 »
Interest on business accounts has always been rubbish and there is not  much you can do about.

So wot Trevor said, spend it or even give your members a year's free rent.  But for half that money you could build a big greenhouse and a nice tea shed for the site.  Lucky you, we've got zilch.

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:42:02 »
Or better still, invest in fencing, buildings, machinery, or stuff generally. A much better return than a bank or building society.

Seriously, why have you got that much just sitting there? There must be something you need? You could invest in a borehole, still have half left, and never pay a water bill again!

It's a council owned site so they are responsible for fencing etc.There are several improvements that could be made in my opinion but I feel that the older guard are resistant to any form of change.It's basically an old boy's club.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 11:43:44 »
So tired of reading this kind of stuff..........so many projects could be undertaken I am sure.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 11:55:20 »
I am with the others spend it.  Perhaps in the meantime you should discuss with the bank a better interest rate.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 12:49:04 »
Have you got a toilet block?
Many "funds" like you to meet up to half the cost... so tell the old guard they would only have to pay half the real cost...  :-\

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 14:32:54 »
£19,000 wow!!! we have less than £1,000 if our association had that much our plot holders would be asking why they had to pay any plot fees!! We had complaints last time we put the subs up because we had a grand
 ::) ::) ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal