Author Topic: Sad Announcement  (Read 10260 times)

misfit

• Half Acre
Re: Sad Announcement
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2012, 09:42:37 »
only just seen this news, please accept my sincerest condolences

as aden roller posted above, i too have a letter from grandma sat in front of me with her poppy seeds in which she kindly posted with nothing required in return apart from to know how they turned out.

they will be grown in her memory this year !!

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2012, 11:59:19 »
I to have some poppy seed she sent me ,I did not  know this was the same lady .well my poppies are all growing in trays in the greenhouse ,so when I plant them out in my garden. and my daughters garden's I will think of  Val ,grandma. and smile, because she shared her lovely flowers with me .
Rest in peace, Val
   June.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2012, 14:36:27 »
I too have found the Poppy seeds Grandma sent me, the unbelieveable Poppys she had were amazing, so it will be great to see these Poppys grow, a great reminder of  Grandma.   :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2012, 03:00:35 »
*Daren and Diane please let us know how you are..... I'm sure there are many of us who would like to stay in touch with you.

Keep a look out for "Grandma's" poppies sprouting up in her garden and be comforted by the knowledge that a lot of us will be doing the same in our own gardens and thinking of her kindness and sharing, in some small way, your loss.

*"Daren" or "Darren"?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2012, 08:42:14 »
I didn't have any poppies when they were offered but  I really would like a few to plant in her honour.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2012, 01:54:23 »
I didn't have any poppies when they were offered but  I really would like a few to plant in her honour.

If you send me your address I will happily stick a few in an envelope and send them off to you.

(Personal message please for the address - not on an open posting)  ;)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2012, 07:09:11 »
Thanks AR I have sent you a P.M.
                             I want em saying

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2012, 17:51:26 »

Sorry Shirlton ,I cannot send you any seeds I have sown them all, maybe in the autumn when they set seed. if you remind me.
   June.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2012, 13:31:53 »
Diane and I would like to thank everybody for all of the lovely messages.

It has been extremely heart-warming to read all of the kind words about our Mum, and to know that she had so many wonderful friends within this group.

The service last Thursday (1st March) was obviously a very emotional time, but the sun shone for her and her life was celebrated by family and close friends. 

Diane and I wrote the eulogy and we included some of your messages and told how this group had brought her so much happiness.  One of your messages included the poem “My Mother kept a garden”, which Diane adapted to “My Grandma kept a garden” and which was read out by Mum’s 3 Grandsons.  They read a verse each and then the remainder together.  It was wonderful and I know that Mum would have been as proud of her boys as we were.

We also had a montage of photographs of Mum’s life up on a large screen playing through as a slideshow and her garden featured heavily, including some great pictures of her poppies that have been mentioned so often in your messages. There were also plenty of pictures of her showing off her latest prize-winning catch at various angling competitions.

The atmosphere at the reception after the service was deliberately light-hearted which we know she would have wanted and I think that under the circumstances, the day was as pleasant as it could have been.

As some of you have commented, Mum had a lovely sense of humour and a big heart and we know that in time we will be able to remember her with a big grin on our faces, rather than with a tear in our eye, as is the case at the moment.  Somebody here questioned the spelling of my name (Daren, not Darren).  Mum said that one ‘r’ could save me up to 3 whole biros during the course of my life.

Unfortunately, the house that she had lived in since 1971 will soon have to be sold.  I very much hope that the new owners will love the garden as much as she did, although they may find a hole where once there was a clump of poppies! (I might be asking for advice on the best way to get said clump from her garden into mine)

Once again we would like to thank all of the members here who helped make this group such a happy place for Mum.  She really did have nothing but good things to say about you all. Thank you too for the wonderful supportive messages you have sent us, I have no doubt that she would have been as deeply moved as we are.

Also thank you very much to everybody who made a donation towards the facilities for the less-abled anglers.  Again, she would have been deeply moved and extremely grateful.

With very best wishes to you all.

Daren and Diane.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2012, 15:54:53 »
Thankyou for letting us know how the service went. Your Mom was very special lady as you know.You say that this group meant so much to your Mom. Myself and I'm sure many others many others will agree that this forum is a nice place to be. Its folks like your Mom that make it that way.
                             I want em saying

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2012, 16:56:13 »

Thank you for sharing this with us,I Will think pf Grandma Val, when her poppies bloom , the best of luck to you all
    June.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2012, 19:13:18 »
Thank you for sharing your very personal moments of your Mums funeral.

It is a very strange thing this A4A group, no one can explain it, but we get very fond of folks we have never met and mourn with their relatives at times like this, we also share their joys and it would seem to me there was some joy mixed in with your sadness at the service. It was good to hear about it.

Your Mum was extremely kind to me and very supportive when I had a problem, she was a little younger than me but as she used the name Grandma that is how I thought of her. I never had a Grandma so it was particularly comforting to get e mails from someone who used that name.

Warm memories are a wonderful comfort and I know you must have a great many.

Take care and God Bless you.

Oh and you may like to know your Mums poppies bloom in Canada too. I don't have the room to grow flowers on my small lotties over here but we are situated in a park so the seeds were sown in our border gardens adjacent to me.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2012, 00:28:26 »
Thankyou for letting us know how the service went. Your Mom was very special lady as you know.You say that this group meant so much to your Mom. Myself and I'm sure many others many others will agree that this forum is a nice place to be. Its folks like your Mom that make it that way.

Seconded by me!

Thanks Daren. 

Please do keep dropping in on us once in a while. I'm sure someone on here will be able to give good advice about moving poppies once they started to germinate. But... if they do fail let us know as there are a lot of us who will have seeds to send back to you come Autumn should you need them.  ;)

(I love your mum's reasoning for going with one "r"  ;D )

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2012, 19:15:50 »
All the best to you both, I too love the biro story and might just nick that one.      :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal