Author Topic: RED ONIONS  (Read 8138 times)

antsuxx

• Not So New ...
RED ONIONS
« on: January 08, 2012, 15:51:00 »

HELLO,   can anyone reccomend whats  the best red onion variety from sets, to grow for flavour, reliability ect, before i go spashing out my cash,
    thanks, Ant

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: RED ONIONS
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 16:09:29 »
Red Baron is the default red onion from set but I never have much luck with them.  Reds always seem to bolt - last year I went for Long Red Florence from seed and there were good.  Still got some rot though but will do the same this year.

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p2400/ONION-Long-Red-Florence/product_info.html?osCsid=e6004225fa8d6b6b94839fd417891492

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 16:18:29 »
I've had more success with Electric than Red Baron but I agree about Long Red Florence. The thinnings make great spring onions too and the onions are mild and more like shallots both in taste and shape. Plus I grow them from seed so they're cheaper than the sets.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 17:35:50 »
Another vote for long red florence from seed here, most of our red sets bolt  :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 11:05:08 »
I think I got Red Baron last year. I have found that they bolt less if you plant them later. I always plant their sets after the other onions, more like end of March.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 11:21:09 »
I grew Garnet from sets last year - didn't plant them til early April but they gave a good crop with little rot or bolting.

They don't seem to be available this year (I read that the commercial growers have nabbed them) but if I'm feeling flush might try Hyred, again from T&M.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/all-other-vegetables/onion-shallot-and-garlic-sets/onion-hyred-f1-hybrid/aww4012TM

You can grow Red Baron from seed and a few other varieties like Karmen, Dobies sell them and there is free postage on their seeds until mid Feb.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 12:11:38 »
I noticed red onions sets on sale in Poundland.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 21:14:37 »
I will be going for the cheap a nasty red onions from Wilko's again this year, I had an excellent crop last year, :) 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 21:16:27 »
I had good results from Red Brunswick grown from seed last year

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 21:57:49 »
i had excellent result with Kamel from moles seeds

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 02:46:37 »
I will be going for the cheap a nasty red onions from Wilko's again this year, I had an excellent crop last year, :) 

I'm with you..  :)    To h**** with the posh named varieties. Red onions - I'll buy them when I see them going for a good price - they'll be the last to go in (when I've time) and they will take their chances - so will I.

Had a reasonable crop last year but reds seem much more fussy about weather conditions than t'others.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 05:19:58 »
As said the reds do tend to bolt, so I just have a handful of loose thrown in with the yellows, but deffo plant later as it does reduce the bolting to some degree.  :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 09:40:33 »
i   grew the red onion sets from pound land last only a couple bolted none being sold as yet this year also grew their white onion sets Stuttgart    had good results with both lots already got the whites for this year and a pk each of pentland javelin and swift 8 tubers just enough to do a row of each had brilliant results must remember to dig earlyer as i had bakers instead of little salad pots

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 18:37:20 »
I grew Hyred last year and won a bottle of champagne at our flower and produce show as they were huge and caught the eye of the local waitrose manager when he was choosing his 'best in show'  8)

blackcountrysteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 18:59:23 »

I had mine from wilko's too and they were fantastic and still have a shed load of tennis ball size onions to last a while yet from last years crop.

antsuxx

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 19:46:04 »

Hi  and ok thanks  to all for replying,im gonna take a chance  with either wilko or poundland and
   put them in late,
                                 thanks, ant

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 15:33:57 »
I grew Hyred last year and won a bottle of champagne at our flower and produce show as they were huge and caught the eye of the local waitrose manager when he was choosing his 'best in show'  8)

Oh dear, I wish I hadn't read that  ::)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 15:23:31 »

Why????

donnythistle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 16:20:38 »
i bought mine for £1 a bag from morrisons and this is last years crop. A very well spent £1.
life has new meaning since i became an allotmenter:)

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 14:44:46 »

Why????

Kea, now I have a reason (justification)  to buy them.

Great crop there Donny  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal