Author Topic: Help! cold calling phone calls  (Read 7194 times)

luckycharlie

• Acre
Help! cold calling phone calls
« on: November 29, 2011, 17:17:13 »

Has anyone else had this problem and any ideas what we should do.

This evening we received a phonecall asking for us by name when I explained that we have TFC. He asked me why? I just said Sorry but it's nothing to do with you he then went on calling me a f.... b.. and a few other choice words.

Any ideas what we can do.

X Chas

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Help! cold calling phone calls
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 17:20:31 »
TFC??  Do you mean the TPS - http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 17:31:24 »
waste there time, i do. i used to give the phone to my teenage son years ago, he would lead them on for 30 mins until they asked him if he was the house owner.....................
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 17:35:53 »

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 17:37:05 »
waste there time, i do. i used to give the phone to my teenage son years ago, he would lead them on for 30 mins until they asked him if he was the house owner.....................

Yes but wouldn't want my children to hear this!!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 17:41:47 »
Well you could try the complaints process - http://complaints.tpsonline.org.uk/Consumer/

Make sure you are polite to the caller and get their details - then tell them you are registered with the TPS and put the phone down.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 18:07:56 »

He refused to tell us the company name just told us at the beginning his name was BRIAN!!

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 18:48:13 »
We have a 'phone with a little screen on it, if the word "unavailable" shows, I just lift the receiver and put it down on the bureau.  I pick it up and replace it, when I remember.         Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 19:39:43 »
I'm also registered with the Telephone Pref Service but it doesn't stop the blighters having really old database info. I still get calls for the previous house owner, who died 4 years ago, and also for her husband who died before that so at least 10 years ago. It's pretty obvious they're after the previous owner as they are all selling 'old people' stuff - unnecessary cavity wall insulation (it's got solid walls), loft insulation (got some thanks and because the upper rooms use some of the roof space the actual bit with rafters is tiny) and other irritating stuff.

No long lasting solution I'm afraid, we switch between getting their name & number & complaining, asking to speak to their line manager & shouting at them, putting phone down, pretending to be the previous owner & spinning a line, or affecting a foreign accent and not 'understanding' them.

If you have better/other solutions then let us know!

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 20:01:08 »
I know it's not a convenient solution, but BT will change your telephone number for you. 

We were getting many phone calls for previous tenants.  When advised that they had moved on several years previously they would invariably thank us, but then ring again the next day!  BT offered to change our number, but we didn't bother as we were due to move out anyway.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 20:10:16 »
My latest one is just telling them I rent and pay no bills, phone down, job done.   :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 21:21:52 »
I just hang up on them. We're registered with TPS but some get through anyway.

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 22:05:44 »

Although I don't like them phoning it was the swearing that I found upsetting has anyone else had this.

X Chas

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 22:27:25 »
We got loads of calls.  They cannot stop calls from foreign parts, so the Brians and Kens and James are probably from India.  Sorry to say I have got to saying BO. 

The ones I hate the most say they are not trying sell me anything.  Well if they are not selling why are they calling?

I have asked them politely to stop the calls so I have now threatened to use a whistle if they do not stop the calls and they have reduced from several a day to one or two a week.  I also get messages dump into my messaging system. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 05:55:19 »

Although I don't like them phoning it was the swearing that I found upsetting has anyone else had this.

X Chas

Hang up on them and don't give them the chance.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 08:07:48 »
I agree with Robert, the moment you realise it's no-one you know just hang up, no need for words or if you must then just a polite "no thank you" & put the phone down.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 08:43:08 »
Mostly they follow a script - if you say no to the first 3 questions they will hang up anyway and the person will still get paid for having quizzed you. I don't like to hang up straight off as most are paid by call. It's not their fault they have to do a completely crap job!
Usually they ask (if it's for home improvements) if you are the homeowner - say no. Say you  rent. They will call off.
If they ask are you over 60, it's to sell insurance etc, say no and they will call off.
If it's to flog frozen food, say you don't have a freezer!!!  ;D ;D No argument with that one!
Usually I let them present their spiel and then say quickly, thank you but I really have no need for that just now, have a nice day and ring off before they get a word in edgewise.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 08:58:54 »
Jude is far more tolerant than me and after explaining we are x directory,I just grab the phone and recall the most effective expletives I can think of on the spot....not polite I know but it works for me..!!!!!!!!!!
and the Asian insurance salesfolk dont come back.... ;)

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 10:05:52 »
Jude is far more tolerant than me and after explaining we are x directory,I just grab the phone and recall the most effective expletives I can think of on the spot....not polite I know but it works for me..!!!!!!!!!!
and the Asian insurance salesfolk dont come back.... ;)

DH likes this idea now

He has just been out and bought a phone with caller display on  so no number no answer from now on !!!

X Chas

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 11:16:53 »
We got loads of calls.  They cannot stop calls from foreign parts, so the Brians and Kens and James are probably from India.  Sorry to say I have got to saying BO.  

The ones I hate the most say they are not trying sell me anything.  Well if they are not selling why are they calling?

I have asked them politely to stop the calls so I have now threatened to use a whistle if they do not stop the calls and they have reduced from several a day to one or two a week.  I also get messages dump into my messaging system.  

The foriegn calls are the most fun, after all, you can say what you like to them, there hardly going to drive from india to confront you..............

The call with the 'you have a virus, let me log onto your pc and fix it'  scam was fun, i gave her a good telling off for stealing from peopel , and told  her she was a poor mother, and setting a bad example for her children. I think it struck home, because  when rant over, there was a long silence and she quietly hung up.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:19:22 by lincsyokel2 »
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal