Author Topic: Buying a 1st Poly Tunnel 6 m x 3m  (Read 8770 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Buying a 1st Poly Tunnel 6 m x 3m
« on: November 13, 2011, 12:00:13 »
http://www.kmsdirect.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=186

Having read differing opinions on building or buying a FIRST poly with a £100 budget
we have looked at this 6 x 3 m tunnel and wondered if any body else had tried one of their tunnels.

We cant afford £300 + tunnels and anyway this tunnel will be a family gift to us this crimbo
so we just wanted any thoughts as to whether this companies tunnels are worth getting.

Ive just had an Op so will be laid up for a month but have a plot neighbour that is willing to errect it for us,
but it appears they only have a few left so wanted to order 1 if you guys and gals think they are worth it.

Thanks for any thoughts

Gazza and Judy

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Buying a 1st Poly Tunnel 6 m x 3m
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 15:38:35 »
Have a look here:

http://www.feelgooduk.net/13-polytunnel-garden-greenhouse-walk-in-polytunnels

They sell two types, the "garden" range and the allotment range with a stronger frame which is bolted together rather than pushed into plastic connectors.  

The allotment range isn't too bad - my 3m x 2m has stood up since April though it was sunk in a trench and earthed up.  But the cover is another matter - just taken it off for the winter and I'll get another season out of it, probably, but beyond that I will be looking at buying or constructing another cover.

In summary, you would be better with a smaller one with a better frame.  Or looking for a second hand aluminium greenhouse with your dosh.  Remember, allotment years are like dog years - one year on the plot is like 7 years in your back garden at home.  I don't think the one you have got your eye on is suitable for the lottie unfortunately.

But I just bought this, so much for practising what you preach eh?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310358202093?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The idea is to put it end to end with the once I've already got and have a full plot width tunnel - YAY!!  You don't have to do it all at once.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 19:58:25 »
I appeciate your pointers Helen,Jude has been nagging me to be more sensible and go for a small one just to see how we get on with it.......so yes....a 3 x 2 your 1st link "the allotment one" looks ideal.

Cheers

Gazza

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 20:12:22 »
It does not matter what you pay for your ploytunnel, if it suits your need and your pocket get on with it, but make sure it is erected properly with the sides well buried in the ground, :)

alexE

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 20:47:28 »
just a thought, but if you speak to your local scout groups/districts they might have some old mess tent frames they are throwing away then you just need the plastic to go over the top, (polytunnel for under £50 if you're lucky) maybe worth a try?

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:30:29 »
we have ordered one of helenk,s 3 x 2 allotment types now but thank you for the suggestion alexe.

I am interested in your comments re the burying of the sides Mr Smith as having inspected the other 6 or so
poly tunnels on our plot there isnt one that has been buried.
They have all either brick weighted the edges or have paving slabs as walkway/weights.

How deep do you bury it then as would this not reduce the 2m height or do you skim the internal earth so the whole thing is set lower down out of the wind.

I also read there is a tape of some type you can put along the tubular frame to stop chafing on the plastic covering is there any particualr brand that is recommended.

Gazza
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:37:16 by gazza1960 »

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 11:54:24 »
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I'm still trying to find a polytunnel provider that will ship to Spain at an affordable price - Ellen, what was the problem you had with the cover?

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 08:25:23 »
We bought one of the Gaurdman, 8x10 from Wyevale, buried it a bit deeper and drilled through frame onto 4x4 wood, made a door at either end with wood, them pulled the plastic taught and stapled it. (Stopped it flapping in the wind) Also used debris net to cover half of doors with plastic drop down cover. Used hot spot tape where bolts etc would rub plastic, also used that grey pipe lagging over the top of frame. It was on offer at £89.99 and we spent about another £25 making it secure.  The frame is 25mm not 19 so if the plastic does go in time then we can buy more for approx £50. Still cheaper than £300, as you say its a lot to pay on an allotment site where it could get vandalized.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 10:29:09 »
No indeed,keeping costs to a minimum has been our target really.

We got an 8 x 6 GH for free and glazed it with £20 quids worth of fleabay glass.

Judes dads had a 10 x 8   3 year old shed which was a family pass me down and with a few wooden bolt ons its
up and running.

and all the raised bed timber came from a local timber merchants clear out.

so yes,£300 for a poly wasnt in the running .

many thanks for your heads up "tips" on securing it Good Gourd 2 .... ;)

Gazza

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal