Author Topic: Chillies & Pepper covered in white fly  (Read 744 times)

fitzsie

• Acre
Chillies & Pepper covered in white fly
« on: July 28, 2011, 13:41:03 »
I have a few plants in the porch and one in the kitchen which are growing really well and they are starting to fruit.  Just seen that they are covered in tiny white flies which doesn't look good. Will they affect the plants and should I do something about them. My mums old wives tale is to spray them in a solution of washing up liquid and water - will this help. Don't particualry want to spray any serious chemicals just for this.
Bring back Spotty Dog........

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Chillies & Pepper covered in white fly
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 20:02:03 »
if you do spray with washing liquid - make it VERY dilute, literally a drop or two to a spray thingy of water.
I had greenfly/whitefly on mine (over-wintered) in early spring, and I put them outside, and I think the birds and other bugs got them off for me naturally. Maybe try putting them outside for a few days to see if it helps

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 20:11:00 »
I have found that if you put a capfull of stergene washing up liquid into 5 litres of water and use this as a spray at least once a week it keeps the whitefly in check
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 19:09:40 »
Too late, think I've overdone the washing up liquid!!  Lost some of the flowers and some of the leaves - my own fault, should have waited for your advice!!! Have sprayed lots of water on them to try and dilute. Wait and see what happens.... Good weather coming up so will put them outside for a few days as well. C'est la vie ::)
Bring back Spotty Dog........

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal