Author Topic: late potatoes  (Read 1441 times)

willsy

• Half Acre
late potatoes
« on: July 19, 2011, 19:15:15 »
I have dug up all of my late potatoes today due to blight, they were planted on the 14/April and are quite large to say they shouldn't have been dug up till middle of Sept. I'm more than pleased in fact I think if I had left them any longer in the ground they would have rotted due to rain, rain, and more rain. They were Desiree and Lady Balfour. Just had some  reds chipped for tea they were yummy.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
Re: late potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 19:22:00 »
Like you Willsy I dug up my late's as well as my earlies today not for the same reason though.  But I was going to start a thread and warn others that with all this rain they are starting to get eaten.  So, thought I would cut my losses but was really surprised how big they all were earlies and late's, so a good crop this year.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 19:36:59 »
Willsy,
Whereabouts in the UK are you? Have you actually got Blight on your crop, or did you have a warning about it in your area.
I'm in the East Midlands and have just received a warning e-mail from Blightwatch that it's in the area.
So it's sprayer out as soon as the rain allows!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 20:37:55 »
Yep..I got blight allert today as well. And as others..our main crop are ready for harvesting..although the tops are still green and plants could be kept going..I think I'm going to lift mine up to be on safe side.
We've got really funny local climate here..all this supposed rain just keeps avoiding us. Today I was working 5 miles away and it was pouring with rain..came back home and nothing!...not a drop. ::) Its been the story so far..just odd little drizzle or short down pour but ground is dry.. >:(

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 21:14:32 »
How strange Goodlife - are you having to water?

I haven't looked at my lates, they're very green, I just assumed they wouldn't be ready for a month or more. I've still got earlies in I haven;t managed to eat yet! I suppose I ought to get them out...   ::)

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 21:29:26 »
I'm getting the last of my Nicola out tomorrow. But its a bit early for Pink Fir Apple. They still have flowers and are looking pretty healthy although I have been through removing dodgy leaves from underneath. If there's a gap in the rain I'll spray but the last copper wash got washed off. Nicola were a good size despite the drought and being planted on new land. Bit floury though for a Charlotte type.

earlybirds

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 23:03:28 »
why have you not put blight spray on only cheap every two weeks mal in billingshurst, i am still planting mine , just planted some king edwards that i had given .

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 19:45:30 »
Why spray fortnightly in a drought? The time to do it is when rain is forecast.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 21:07:42 »
I'm holding off spraying yet, as I've had no further warnings
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 21:57:37 »
Well all I can say is I've sprayed my PFAs after tea this evening and the rain is now washing it right off so I'm a bit p##sd off with myself so I'm going to bed!    >:(  Night all!

petemac

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 23:16:08 »
I put some 2nd early Kestrals into raised beds at the bottom of the garden in May 12th and the plants look good with a few flowers on them and my Pentland javelin earlies came up small but no blight.
I am going away for 2 weeks tomorrow should I get them up and put them in dark storage ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal