Author Topic: Proportion of untended allotments on your site?  (Read 3188 times)

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
Proportion of untended allotments on your site?
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:54:48 »
With a waiting list of 60 on a site of 250 plots, our allotment association is pushing the Town Council to enforce the tenancy agreement regarding tending a lot. Currently we have 43 plots where less than 25% of the plot is being used to grow vegetables... The TC are now serving notices and offering plots.

So our current ratio of untended plots is 17%. Sounds far too high, but is a target of less than 5% realistic? What's the ratio on your site?

Thanks, John
We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

pumkinlover

Re: Proportion of untended allotments on your site?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:23:41 »
Zero tolerance!

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 12:17:47 »
20 plots on site. 4 not let. 1 let but not touched this year so far.  1 newbe started with lots of enthusiasm, but appears to have fallen by the way side. Given the size of the waiting list over the last few years, can't under stand why all the sites are still not full.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 13:18:30 »
102 tenanted plots, of various sizes from 20 poles to starter plots (but all plots offered for the past two years have been 5 poles). 3 vacant plots, but that's because we need to sort the drainage out in that area first. But a waiting list of 13, plus 5 on starter plots who may be ready for a proper plot and at least one currently with 5 poles who wants to take on another 5 pole plot.

We do have some plots where not all the land is yet cultivated, but only a handful, and if someone is sitting on a large plot and not using it all we apply gentle pressure on them to downsize. That works.

Sorry, can't reduce all that to percentages!

But it does help that we're an independent site and don't have to go through the council for things like this.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 13:33:25 »
Zero tolerance!

Same here.  With a 5 year waiting list of prospective allotmenteers all plots are to be cultivated with nil exceptions regarding apathy.  Occasionally I am approached by a plot holder who may say they will be unable to tend their plot for 3 months for example,  due to having to get an operation or something.  This is recorded on file and chased up at the end of the given time period if required.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 16:53:26 »
All our plots are let, not sure of the number as we split 10 rod plots which become vacant into two but around 120 plot holders.  One plot is currently untended as the plot holder had a heart attack and currently can't do his plot; a couple of plots are only part cultivated so far this year mainly because the plot holders left it late to start and the ground was then very hard to work, a few plots 'could be better' but most are very well cultivated

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 18:53:09 »
You'll always have a few untended plot, either due to illness (best to be understanding and give them plenty of time), or the time it takes to get rid of a tenant who's lost interest and won't admit it. All you can do is aim to minimise it.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 07:22:19 »
We have 18 plots on our site all are taken except for one small starter plot, Chap did take it on in april but has been ill.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 09:09:57 »
What a difference 2 weeks make. For the first time since I've been a plot holder (10+yrs) our site as now got 100% take up  ;D ;D
What saddens me is the fact that some people have been on the waiting list 2/3 years when plots have been stood empty all that time.  So all I can say is ''Well done'' to our new allotments officer.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 10:18:59 »
We have 1 half plot in 50 of assorted sizes, some bits of other plots   How do you rate an allotment which is oly 25% growing?  Not full of weeds just empty.  So total perhaps 4%. 

Lets hope your allotment officer sorts out other sites Taurus,  I came across the one at Redcliffe st where I was quite shocked at the number of untended plots.  From Google maps it does seem in need of a lot of TLC.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal