Author Topic: The Magic of Spring - Has it started for you yet?  (Read 7169 times)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
The Magic of Spring - Has it started for you yet?
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:47:56 »
I know it is still winter but Woohoo....!

...my first broad bean has broke the soil surface, three of my raspberry plants have new shoots emerging from the soil and my rhubarb plants have lovely fat pink tips on the verge of exploding to life. :)

Oh and on continuing my winter digging of soil not dug in a few years, I noticed that the big tap roots and little weed seeds have woken up too!  >:(

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: The Magic of Spring - Has it started for you yet?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:58:56 »
I know! everywhere you turn there are fat buds and bulbs going for it now.
Gives you a boost of energy and hope for the next few weeks.

My iris are in flower this morning fabulous!
Shame that the greenhouse is in peices on the ground!!
x sunloving

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:11:21 »
That is a shame.  I spent at least an hour repairing wind damage the other day.  Always a few steps forward and one back

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:14:28 »
My chickweed is doing well. :'(
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:20:18 »
The almond trees are just beginning to come out in flower here - it's a beautiful sight.

I cleared up the comfrey bed at the weekend and found it full of green shoots but although it's 15ºC, bright and sunny here I remember the heavy snow we had last March. With the cold, it wiped out much of the almond crop so fingers crossed we don't get a repetition.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 11:26:19 »
Yes its Back..the spring magic.
Snow drops and aconites are flowering in garden and lottie.. ;D Japanese quince's flower buds are almost breaking open..AND..I have finally sown first seeds into propagator..YEEAAH ;D
Oh, the daffs tops are showing too, garlic is through, chives are showing little bit of green too ;D

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 11:27:35 »
Lots of bulbs peeking out joined by their weedy counterparts

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:13:37 »
yes spring is just around the corner !!
garlic and chives all showing green shoots
roll on march, then its onion sets, and sharpes express potatoes will be planted
i just cant wait, a magic time

jim

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 12:25:51 »
Yeay, spring is indeed coming. It was light at 7.30 am when my alarm went off today.

I have snowdrops, crocuses, hellebores, primroses, and the first, very early, daffodils in full flower.  A few wallfowers (it is an early-flowering strain in its second year) but the plants are a very sorry, straggly sight.

There are later bulbs poking through everywhere, and fat buds bursting, as well as signs of life bursting up from herbaceous plants in my south-facing border.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 12:30:38 »
Lots of snowdrops flowering, but it would be risky to call it spring yet. There's no sign of life from the blackthorn, though one of my hives was bringing in a little hazel pollen yesterday.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 14:46:44 »
Not spring yet but after such a hard winter I find every sign delightful, bulbs emerging, buds on shrubs and roses starting to open, even weeds appearing.  Even from time to time the sun with just enough warmth to be felt.

Cant come soon enough but when it does I'll be too busy sowing, planting and weeding to take properr stock!
Best laid plans and all that

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 15:20:58 »
It sure has!  :)
I spent all morning working on the plot for the first time this year. Both robins said hello and these yellow crocus opened in the sunshine.
[attachment=1]
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 16:06:36 »
Just been on holiday to the Isle of Wight, and saw loads in flower  ;D Forsythia, Gorse, Bergenia, Snowdrops, even an Osteospermum and some other flowers and tree blossom (a bit too far away to ID)  ;D ;D ;D  Sad to have to come back to mid Winter in Yorks, though at least my snowdrops are up!!!

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 16:36:12 »
Oh yes!

Yesterday, in the sunshine, all the early-flowering crocuses were wide open and looking gorgeous; there was a ladybird in the sunlounge and the first bluebottle of the year in the house!

But best of all .............

...........I was lucky enough to be given a 'Birdcam' for my birthday - (it's a bird box with a camera inside so you can watch what happens on the TV).  It was only installed eleven days ago and yesterday a beautiful blue tit visited several times! I was SO excited!

Lots of spring magic around!

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 19:02:40 »
Yes yesterday was wonderful, lots of crocus out plus my new rockery iris, the birds were singing & I had my lunch out on the verandah, after givng my campervan a good clean.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 19:22:26 »
It was like high Summer at the plot today, and had to take my shirt off!! 20C in the greenhouse and have planted my first seeds, leeks, in the greenhouse.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Tonythegardener

• Quarter Acre
  • http://tonythegardener.blogspot.com/
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 20:28:05 »
Cyclamen are flowering away and the species iris are just beginning to flower.  An amazing blue.  All the bulbs are showing through and the daffs have flower buds on them.  Even the tulips are showing through.  Yes Spring is just around the corner.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 13:51:04 »
Can't understand it, just about all my autumn and winter sown broad beans are looking wonderful, with very few gaps. I really thought the snow and frost would have seen them off this year as it was worse than last year, when most of them died. Even the few blackened ones are putting out green leaves and reviving.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 14:30:38 »
Thats great news!  I sowed mine about two weeks ago, brought them in for a bit and 8 out of 15 have sprouted so I have returned them to the cold greenhouse before they get carried away.

Can't sow direct as the mice dig them up. 

Alsea craig onions have sprouted as have my cauli's.  Noticed that the weeds are realy picking up though

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 15:43:53 »
. . . i am itching to get started!!

After dead heading & doing a general tidy up recently, all the new green growth is

emerging.

I LOVE SPRING-TIME  ;D

Lots to look forward to- seed sowing,warm days, frog 'song', ladybirds emerging. . .

Its the simple pleasures in life that make you feel good to be alive   ;D

Debs 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal