Author Topic: Discrimination Issues  (Read 15853 times)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Discrimination Issues
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2011, 12:57:13 »
^^ I think what Marcitos has said is that the hedge is encroaching on her cultivation and she wants the committee to cut it back.

I would help almost anyone and help is something that is given freely ......... but if Marcitos had shown half the rudeness that she has shown on this thread I would be giving her a wide berth.  Not as a hate crime against disability  but because I would not want to get caught in any crossfire or hit by the ricochets.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2011, 13:15:05 »
Reading through the thread I do not think Markitos was rude in fact it was another poster to make the first rude comments.

Markitos can see the issue clearly and needs to resolve it at source.I can understand the reason why she is rejecting help off others at this stage because she wants a permanent answer to this.

Maybe Thrive can help ??

They may know people who have had similar problems and how it was dealt with.

http://www.thrive.org.uk/how-we-can-help-you.aspx
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 13:19:14 by betula »

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2011, 13:21:30 »
^^ I think what Marcitos has said is that the hedge is encroaching on her cultivation and she wants the committee to cut it back.

I would help almost anyone and help is something that is given freely ......... but if Marcitos had shown half the rudeness that she has shown on this thread I would be giving her a wide berth.  Not as a hate crime against disability  but because I would not want to get caught in any crossfire or hit by the ricochets.

I think you have summed up a lot of people's thoughts on this perfectly.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2011, 13:29:47 »
I am a bit cofused about the hedge.  It is between Marcitos and a "sensory garden".

So do the committee take responsibility to cut the hedge on the "sensory gardens" side?  If not who does?  

I find it odd that this has gone all the way to the Ombudsman and can certainly understand Marcitos's frustration at not getting a solution.

Best of luck anyway Marcitos.  To answer your original questions unfortunately I don't have that kind of experience.

Bill

marcitos

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2011, 20:58:54 »
 Elvis 2003, please let me know who are the volunteers I have attacked. As another poster has mentioned, dj was the one who started the rudeness. By the way, I am a volunteer on our local network Committee which tries to ensure fainess within our local area for all plotholders, not just able bodied ones, we have an Equalities Policy.

RE – Amendment to my tenancy agreement. A number of posters maintain that I want some form of ‘special’ treatment & have the agreement changed to suit me. I will try & explain again that if the tenancy agreement, in any form, is in conflict with the law, law takes precedent, even if it isn’t written in the document & whether you like it or lump it. Associations, in our area, in their license agreement with the LA agree to manage ‘the day to day running’ of the site. If, therefore, the Committee do not take the law into account are they not in breach of the license agreement? If a Committee cannot fulfil their commitments shouldn’t they re-negotiate the license with the LA? ARI note 4 possible agreements, do they not? I don’t know why it is when some people sign a contract but do not want to abide by it.

CH2 The Duty to Promote Disability Equality: Statutory Code of Practice. This is what Self Managed Sites take on from the LA, like it or lump it. If you didn’t know anything about that get in touch with your LA rather thangetting uptight with a poster on here. Mind you it’s easier to shoot the messenger.

SMP1704 Committee & LA deny any obligation under DDA (see my first post). Committee dominated by a group of couples.

Betula, thank you for the link.

Bill Door, the Committee cut the other side of the hedge. I also have another hedge 10ft long x 5ft wide x 7ft high. This is on the boundary of where I enter the plot & the ‘lane’ that leads to it. I only know of one plot with a hedge. The dimension is around the same as the one described here. They maintain their hedge but were asked whether they would like it cutting lower at the end of last season. The only other hedge is the boundary of one side of the site & a neighbouring cemetery. This is about 700ft long. The LA cut both sides. I negotiated with them, when chair, to do our side, so that it lessened the burden on site resources & peoples time.

With regard to the actual cutting – please show me where I’ve stated that I’m not going to get it cut. We have an embankment on site where we usually have fires. We used to put things there ready for burning. Last year a new rule came in force that we cannot leave anything there between April & October, fires now only allowed Nov to March. Apart from my helpers not having proper tools, I don’t have room for all those cuttings on my plot. We also cultivate. At the end of last season, had swine flu, then the severe weather. One of my helpers says he has had some equipment that may do the job, but he now has swine flu.

I have not yet had notice to quit. I was given a deadline to cut the hedge (no dimensions) & to make good the part I had tried to cut. I had a 6 week deadline to do this end of summer last year. After the deadline passed I have received another warning.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2011, 21:10:26 »
i dont wish to add further to this thread marcitos,i feel i have said all i want to.
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2011, 21:44:44 »
I feel you are asking for positive discrimination, not suffering from negative discrimination.

no need to attack djb, you stated you have an issue with one hand / forearm. nothing more or less. djb commented that this is not a major disability issue ( compared with the disabled folk djb volunteers with )

as for
The law as I understand it is that a service provider should seek to remove or alter a physical obstruction if it interferes with, in my case, the normal use of my plot.
do you want the committee to remove the hedge?

I understand you may be angry with your committee, but taking it out on folk trying to give support / advice ain't the best way forward!
rgds, Tony
You couldn't make it up!

marcitos

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2011, 22:16:29 »
Hi Tonybloke

Just want the hedge to be manageable.

Prior to the communication you have chosen to use as an example. dj did post

'I have all the time in the world for helping others but I do resent anyone trying to say that they can offload their responsibilities under their tenancy agrremment onto others as a right'

Please, I am lost in how to know how that was helpful. Who had I upset prior to that?

Regards

Marcitos

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2011, 22:26:43 »
Jeez, if you treat everyone who tries to help you the same way, I'm not surprised you're struggling to get help. I'll help pretty much anyone who needs a hand, but I can't say I'd give up my time to help someone who thought it was their right and started quoting laws at me. I think this is about your personality, not your disability.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2011, 22:32:01 »
Please, I am lost in how to know how that was helpful. Who had I upset prior to that?
Marcitos, I support your argument, but I think you should make an effort to understand that not everyone will be sympathetic for the kind of reasons that djb has taken the time to explain to you.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

marcitos

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2011, 22:35:14 »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks to those who have helped. Apologies to those I've upset. I'll give it a rest.

Regards

Marcitos

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2011, 07:33:53 »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks to those who have helped. Apologies to those I've upset. I'll give it a rest.

Regards

Marcitos

Let me know if you want me to help with your hedge :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2011, 12:21:13 »
where in the UK are you ,marcitos?
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal