Author Topic: What Potatoes to grow?  (Read 3517 times)

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
What Potatoes to grow?
« on: January 03, 2011, 14:36:35 »
Hello All,

I haven't posted for a while I'm sorry, I have bought all my seeds for my first year on my allotment (all things I've grown before in the garden) but I am no thinking about potatoes, I was flicking through the seed catalogue from Thompson and Morgan and to be honest I'm over whelmed but the choice.

I was wondering if any one can suggest a good first potato? I would like a early and maincrop variety, I have two beds to grow in 15' by 5'. My soil is fairly good, it was clay I think but has clearly had lots of stuff added in the past.  I tend to buy Vivaldi potatoes to eat.

In the kitchen we tend to only boil or steam new potatoes, and the rest of the year have roast or baked potatoes.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

PeterVV

• Half Acre
Re: What Potatoes to grow?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 14:50:19 »
A lot depends on where your plot is , and what type of soil you have. I am in south wales on a failrly heavy soil, and my best performer is always Desiree.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 14:51:08 »
If you're only growing two varieties I'd go for the salad potato Charlotte and the excellent Kestrel. Both are second earlies and keep well.

Fellow member Tattieman's website is well worth a look - http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/

If you have an allotment association or horticultural society and they do the varieties you want then I'd buy from them, or from JBA,  rather than T&M!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 14:56:18 »
Thank you for your advice,  Kestrel was a  variety I was considering growing, I am sure I have eaten both Desiree and Charlotte, so I should also look at those I suppose. I am in Solihull (near Birmingham) if that makes any difference.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 15:02:14 »
I would always vote for Red Duke of York... as advised T+M can be a bit pricey... consider going to a potato day like the one at Grow Organics (Ryton Coventry) at the end of January...  :)

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 15:06:59 »
I'm sure this is a silly question but what is a potato day?

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 15:10:38 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 15:13:04 »
Hi,
 I have ordered my seed potatoes from JBA noted above.   They have  the ones I want and  in the quantities I want to order.   The prices are reasonable too.
I am not keen on T and M for anything.  
Most sellers have 2 and 3 kg packs.   JBA you order by no. of potatoes.
Last year Picasso, International kidney and Charlotte did  well for me and I am only about 15 miles from you.   Hope this helps.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 17:12:52 »
Don't have the same varieties here but wonder what Alan Romans are like on price? Their seed prices are good.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 18:10:53 »
Vicki was you overwhelmed by their prices   :o
It is confusing when there's so much choice
If you like your new potatoes then rocket is my choice
Kestrels are a great second crop, versatile and virtually pest free
I buy mine locally and a 3 kilo bag is just over three quid, so there's no postage are there any nursery's near you, also B&Q, The range, etc are all doing them now but not with that much choice though. Quite a few on here buy from JBA who sell on to Alan Romans, you'll find them reasonable.  
I've just had a good look through JBA's site and there's some really good info on each variety.     ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 18:34:24 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 18:30:25 »
I do have a reason for using T and M,and it's not I've got more money than sense honestly,  my great gran. who taught me how to grow things as I've mentioned on here before. Only ever used them, and was a firm believer in getting what you pay for.

Whether or not this is still true I don't know, but this being my first year on the plot I'm sticking to what I know.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 18:35:16 »
Fair play.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

vanilla8

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 19:31:10 »
I have just ordered sharps express, desiree, golden wonder from T&M
I made good use of the free P&P from following the link on gardners world, and also got sent a £5 voucher with the mailings.   ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 13:34:23 »
I'd always recommend Pink Fir Apple, I like Setanta cos it's basically a disease resistant Rooster, and for a true early it's hard to look past Lady Christl.... PLus I grow about a dozen other varieties cos I like variety and I go to potato days to buy 3 tubers of this and 4 of that etc..... Also worth checking out Sarpo Axona.... bomb-proof blight resistance, grows till the frosts cut it down, can deliver epic crops.....

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 14:44:50 »
Ordered mine last night from JBA - Charlotte, Harlequin, Epicure, Maris piper, Wilja ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 15:03:01 »
My faves are;

Early=Rocket

2nds= Kestrel

M/c= Pink Fir Apple (saved from own crop)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 15:50:07 »
We've tried allsorts,growing 6 tubers of several varieties for the past couple of years.
Lady Chrystle is our no.1 early
Always Desiree for main crop.
Ratte we grew for the fist time 2010 and it is for us a good substitute for Pink fir apple which is a b****r to clean.
We now buy most of ours from a local garden centre they are friendly,offer a wide range,well priced and they're going to ring me when the stock arrives  :)
sanity is overated

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 17:00:21 »
1st early - Pentlan Javelin
Salad potato - Charlotte
2nd early - Kestrel
Maincrop - Desiree
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

gerkin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 12:19:16 »
I would always vote for Red Duke of York... as advised T+M can be a bit pricey... consider going to a potato day like the one at Grow Organics (Ryton Coventry) at the end of January...  :)

thats what ive just bought 3.99 for 2kg in our local roots and shoots
upminster essex ,come on you irons

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 12:42:01 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal