Author Topic: Puddings  (Read 3392 times)

zigzig

• Acre
Puddings
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:30:29 »
I have got a few coming round for a meal at christmas and I want to keep down the catering without having too many choices. Too much gets left and I hate waste.

What do you suggest

which will make one pudding suitable for all the following:-

A diabetic
A non dairy (lactose free)
A gluten free.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Puddings
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 13:06:43 »
I have got a few coming round for a meal at christmas and I want to keep down the catering without having too many choices. Too much gets left and I hate waste.

What do you suggest

which will make one pudding suitable for all the following:-

A diabetic
A non dairy (lactose free)
A gluten free.

Luxury fruit salad with exotic fruits and sugarfree syrup.  Adding a small amount of alcohol may be ok with the diabetic?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 13:08:40 by galina »

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 14:06:17 »
Difficult one.  Was going to suggest a trifle made with sugar free jelly, but obviously the cream and the custard are no use for lactose free.  My husband is diabetic, and is able to have a small bit of anything we have.  However, if I was making a fresh fruit salad I would use low calorie lemonade instead of syrup in it.  The lemon stops the apples etc browning and it's really quite refreshing.    pavlova would be suitable (I think) for the lactose and gluten intolerant, but not ideal for diabetic ... though as I say, my husband would have a wee bit and take extra insulin to compensate.  You could have meringue and fresh fruit salad. 
Lizann :0)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 17:33:26 »
I do a gluten free/lactose free mincemeat cake, my SiL is diabetic & I make her one every Christmas. It doesn't taste any different so others could have it too. It's made in a 2lb loaf tin. Let me know if you would like the recipe

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 19:00:35 »
Found a recipe for Peach and Champagne Jelly on the bbc site. Lactose and gluten free. Suger content dos'nt seem that high.

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 21:28:41 »
Thanks all so far the lactose free we can do with soya replacement milk cream etc the gluten free we can do with all sorts but the diabetic seems to be the issue.

I would like to hear from diabetics what they enjoy as a suitable pud or would they rather have a sugar free yoghurt or what.

It is the diabetic thing which is hard. I know that fruit or fruit salad would do but when I make a pud I would like to offer more than a fruit salad.

I think I need to make a new post asking diabetics what puds they can enjoy and hope I can design something round that.

Your input has been valuable to get me to that point and thanks to you all

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 21:51:00 »
Goodlifes your girl ;) ;D.

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 22:20:14 »
sorry granny but you have lost me on that one.

wasit the gin?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 22:58:18 »
No good for the diabetics but I tracked down some brandy snap baskets with a little help from my friends on here... with Alpro Soya dessert and fruit that makes a quick easy scrummy pudding...  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 08:57:18 »
asda is now doing diabetic ice cream, first time I've seen it , no good for lactose intolerant though  :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 09:02:21 »
Worthenshawes frozen dessert is (Dragon's Den) is dairy free, gluten free & suitable for diabetis. Comes in 3 flavours I think.

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 17:32:11 »
Sorbet with fruitjuice?

Summer pudding using gluten-free/rice bread?

Fruit puree/Charlotte using oats/gluten-free bread instead of breadcrumbs? Could fry crumbs in oil perhaps

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 23:41:29 »
There's a very good recipe for an ornage and almond cake by AWT on BBC food.  I always do it when catering for lactose and gluten intolerant people - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/orangeandalmondcake_72383

And Purpleheather's posted a chocolatey one on the Favourite Cake thread.  Just substitute millilitres of grapeseed or other flavourless oil for the equivalent grams of butter.
Obxx - Vendée France

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 10:13:40 »
Mmmm, that looks yummy. Off dairy while I'm breastfeeding since it doesn't seem to agree with my little one and currently stuck with one cake recipe since replacement marg is too expensive to keep making cake with! Getting a bit bored so might have to try this one.

I'm using a James Martin carrot cake recipe which is very similar to this (ie, cook veg then throw it all in a blender). Does have flour in it which could be replaced by gluten free stuff, but again not sure about the diabetic angle. Sadly can't seem to find it on the bbc site now. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal