Author Topic: Desperate plea from someone about to lose their garden  (Read 5225 times)

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
Desperate plea from someone about to lose their garden
« on: August 02, 2010, 22:09:37 »
dear all,

due to the general rubbishness of my husband's employer (the NHS), we've suddenly found out we're moving to Reading for six months. We're renting a flat without a garden, and I find myself leaving the garden I adore behind.

So that I don't go mad, I've decided to spend a bit of time trekking around other people's allotments to take photos and talk to them about their favourite vegetables and growing tips.

I'm looking for allotmenteers in the Reading area who don't mind me coming to their plot one day in the next three months to chat to them for half an hour or so, and just pootle around with my SLR.

Anyone keen?
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
Re: Desperate plea from someone about to lose their garden
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 22:16:08 »
p.s. I will help you with your weeding!
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

:(

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 22:23:54 »
Are you closing your website business or are you relying on getting pictures and copy from these visits? If so how much are you paying?  ;)

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 22:53:46 »
wow, thanks for the support. All I wanted was to hang out with some other gardeners. My website isn't a business. I'ma  24 year old graduate with a full-time job in London and I run the blog with a load of other people. The advertising we get pays for our hosting costs and the rest I have been donating to www.esuubi.org.uk

But thanks, you made me feel even lower than I already do about having to leave my home and my garden. Obviously much easier to be sarky and bitter when you're not talking to someone's face.
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 23:22:46 »
Take no notice of weequinie. Why only the other day he/she was complaining about being considered a troll. I can't understand that myself, and I'd be equally sarky to their face. If I were in Reading I'd welcome you FennelandFern. Sadly I'm nowhere near there.

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 23:37:17 »
Take no notice of weequinie. Why only the other day he/she was complaining about being considered a troll. I can't understand that myself, and I'd be equally sarky to their face. If I were in Reading I'd welcome you FennelandFern. Sadly I'm nowhere near there.
Asking straightforward questions or expressing straighjforward opinions doesnt make someone a troll. There was nothing bitter or sarky about my question which didnt get an answer btw. If I offered my plot Id like to know if pictures taken and words spoken would end up on someones website. Thats not unreasonable.

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 06:06:06 »
Well in that case, no I will not be paying anyone anything. Mainly because I won't be relying on getting anything from those visits for my 'website business' as you call it. I wrote this last night as I packed my house up before spending the last night in it because quite frankly I'm gutted to leave my garden in the middle of the growing season. The tomatoes are covered in ripening fruit and there are courgettes and patty pans everywhere.
I thought that maybe if I could help out on someone else's allotment and indulge my passion for photography there, that would make the whole thing seem a lot less grim.
Perhaps if some allotmenteers agreed, I might write about their plots. But weequeenie, you seem to inhabit a parallel universe where people get paid for being featured in anything. In day job I work for national newspapers and radio, and in the four years that I've been doing that, not one of those publications or stations has paid anyone anything for the features we've written about then or for their time on air. The best someone could hope for at the BBC was that we'd book a speaker a taxi home from the Millbank studios after they appeared on the programme.
I'd still love to hear from anyone who isn't going to pounce on me who'd like me to visit their plots. If not, I'm also signing up to volunteer at a community garden, where, like my blog, I'll be doing it for the love rather than because I expect gold to pour into my hand every time I lift a finger.
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:23:57 »
Your photos are beautiful and I would love you to come to my plot and take some..........but maybe Birmingham is a bit far from Reading? :(

What a shame that you have to leave your garden, especially at this time of year.  Good luck with finding an allotment site near your new place.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Mushy Pea

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 07:42:08 »
Hi FennelandFern,

Sorry we are no where near Reading but if you are up in Durham you are welcome to pop down the plot for a brew.  :D

MP

Good luck with finding a friend in Reading.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 08:08:30 »
Hi FennelandFern, Hi all  :)

Its a beautiful web site. I too am nowhere near you but I would talk about gardening and my plot to anyone who would listen. I often do a tour of the site for prospective plot holders (I dunno why they never come back - its a good tour ;D )

I recently got volunteered to record a slot on "hospital radio" talking about what was seasonal. It turned out to be broadcast across the county - twice.  :-[

I would be upset to leave my plots at any time, I hope you find an enjoyable community project to keep your wellies muddy. Best of luck. Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 08:18:33 »
Your photos are beautiful and I would love you to come to my plot and take some..........but maybe Birmingham is a bit far from Reading? :(

Easy train from Reading to Birmingham as far as I remember, maybe get a cheap advance fare?

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 08:38:02 »
Perhaps if some allotmenteers agreed, I might write about their plots. But weequeenie, you seem to inhabit a parallel universe where people get paid for being featured in anything. In day job I work for national newspapers and radio, and in the four years that I've been doing that, not one of those publications or stations has paid anyone anything for the features we've written about then or for their time on air.

Newspapers and magazines pay people every day for being featured. Its the real world.

Still at lerast we know what your intentions are now. And Ive drummed up symnpathy for you by by being bitter and sarky and a troll so not all bad then eh. No publicity is bad publicty and all that.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:30:57 »
Like many other posters I wish my Somerset allotment was near enough for you to visit.I've never quite understood the "everything has a price" belief personally sharing has it's own reward,since offering spare plants and surplus veg to lottie folk and neighbours we now have so many friends and yes they share us right back! :)
sanity is overated

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 10:37:25 »
I'd love to have you come to my plot fennelandfern but I am in SE London.  Not so far but a pain to get to..but if you are ever in the area come and join me and we can poke our SLRs at what takes our fancy!  
BTW your site is really nice and very well put together - I know the effort it takes to keep at site up to date and yours is a fine example..

I think you'd like our site - it's very ramshackle with lots of odd things lying around...

http://web.alleyns.org.uk/docs/Barriedale.htm - maybe not to everyone's taste!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 10:46:46 »
Well on giving this matter a little thought I think I would be happy to have shown anyone my Allotment when I had it.Indeed feel free to come and see my tiny veg patch if you so wish...I must hold some record for cramming it all in  LOL  ;D

When I chat about growing to some friends there eyes glaze over and suddenly they have to go.......they do not understand the preoccupation with beans not setting and has the carrot fly got me...... ;DOn the other hand they love having runner beans but run a mile when you arrive with more courgettes ;D

Seriously weequinie I can understand your protective feelings towards others as maybe you think they are being used somehow??but  think a lot of people would go onto a web site for free.If on the other hand your story is being sold on in some way maybe then the question arises of what is this all about??

Simply ask the question...........what are you going to do with my information.............. ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 10:50:41 »
Forgot to add..have a good move and don't wory...from my experience you will find another bit of space to grow on    ;D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 16:22:47 »
Just a thought, but if you check the member map above there are several members in the Reading area. Maybe send them a PM in case they don't look at this thread?

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 17:43:45 »
One thing I love doing is wandering around the garden with a camera, so I can understand your frustration at not being able to stride out and click away at what's growing.

Do come and visit, if you like. I'm in the Newbury area, just down the M4/railway line from Reading and could collect you from town, if needed.  :)

It would be nice to taste a few varieties with a fellow A4Aer.

PM me, if you like.  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 17:57:52 »
You are more than welcome to come and do my weeding.  ;D ;D

But sorry I am in the cotswolds.  I hope you can find some good contacts.

I visited my son a while ago and invited myself to a visit to his local allotments in MK and found the people there very welcoming and chatty. 

small

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 18:18:35 »
Well so what even if you did want to use photos on your site?  I'd be extremely flattered if anyone wanted to snap my plot!  I really feel for you having to leave at this time of year just when all the plans are coming together.  I can't help from the Midlands, but if I were you I'd find the nearest site to where you are staying and ask around, most people are not on A4A though it doesn't always seem like! Also in September there'll almost certainly be a nearby school needing help if you are available at the right time, I'd have definitely welcomed someone to weed our tiny veg plot!  Anyway, good luck, at least at your age time is on your side!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal