Author Topic: pond drying out  (Read 2134 times)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
pond drying out
« on: July 26, 2010, 13:32:36 »
Because of it's position, my little pond with just newts & snails & other insect-y things in it, plus plants, is drying out rapidly in this hot weather. I have put a few buckets of water in after leaving them filled overnight, but as this is not a good solution for me I wondered if it would be ok to run the hose to it with just a dribble coming out so that not too much clean water was going in all at once?

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: pond drying out
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 14:51:41 »
Hi Poppy, this isn't much of a problem here in wettest Wales.  When ever we do have a dry bit and the pond level drops what I do is let the hosepipe trickle water through the bog garden that we incorporated into the  top of the pond and this seems to do the trick.  Mind you its quite a deep pond so its more of a cure to cover the liner rather than the pond totally drying out.  Best of luck and I hope that you have some rain soon. (we have plenty that you can have!  ;) )
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 16:07:56 »
Thanks I don't have any bog garden the whole thing is just a concrete bowl on top of the rockery ( I inherited it from previous owners!) but I can wedge the hosepipe so that it trickles down the side.
As for rain "Glorious Goodwood" starts tomorrow so we will probably see some this week!!!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 18:30:52 »
I have been dribbling water into my small pond for weeks now.   I have done this every year when the water level drops in hot weather.  I am in Birmingham with soft water from Wales, so it might matter where your water is coming from.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal