Author Topic: Number of Plots  (Read 4179 times)

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
Number of Plots
« on: July 21, 2010, 23:42:43 »
How many plots is one allowed to have?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Number of Plots
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:00:51 »
Depends on the rules at your particular site. The popularity of plots these days mean that you are lucky to have just the one!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:15:34 »
There's no statutory limit, though the allotment authority has the power under S.28 Small Holdings and Allotments Acts 1908 to makes rules about how big the plots can be and how many can be let to who.

If your plot is bigger than 40 poles it's not an allotment garden as such and so you lose some statutory protections and limitations under the acts, but that's probably not the case if you're seperately renting several smaller plots.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:08:12 »
I have two half plots on one site, and a less than half plot on another. No-one has commented on this so far.

:(

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 10:53:10 »
Maximum on my site is 4x10 pole plots. I just got my 2nd one this week.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:31:01 »
The couple who used to run my site had five between them, two in other peoples' names, and only cultivated a small part of one plot. There didn't seem to be any limits, but we wouldn't let it happen again.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 13:22:08 »
How would you have time and energy to look after several plots??? One is already hard work!  ???
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 13:31:53 »
I have two plots, one a 3/4 plot and the other a half plot.
Every inch is cultivated and weed free.
Most plots are not used as effectively and many are half covered in tarpaulins.
We are successfully encouraging those plotholders to give up a half.

Being chairman of our site committee may be a help to me!

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 13:44:44 »
There isn't a limit on our site.  We  have 3.  Our first one we have had for 3 years.  The second one we took on in March which is now fully cultivated with potatoes, squash, peas, leeks and cabbages.  The third one hasn't been touched yet but my husband is planning on doing this during the autumn/winter months.  We have a plot holder who was given 6 plots in March.  Needless to say he hasn't touched them and we now have other people wanting to take on plots.  MY husband - who's the site secretary - is going to be contacting him in the next few days to tell him that he has to give up 5 of them but cultivate the other to committee expectations.  All the other plot holders think it is fair, this man  has been given ample opportunity to cultivate his plots but thus far all we have heard from him is excuses, so needs must.
Julie
 :)

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 16:15:58 »
Excellent Julie! that's exactly where I want to go. Every inch of my plot is filled and I have no space for other things to plant  :( I'd die for another plot......of course I would have to consider the waiting list. But ever an opportunity came where there wasn't anyone on the waiting list then yeah I'd love to snap up another plot! It seems like each county has their own rules and ideas with allowing more than 1 plot to tenants. I shall have to a little research.....  :)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 16:26:23 »
I have had one plot for 5 years now and luckily the next door plot was being ignored and I got that too!  The Council then said that I could have a scruffy corner patch at the end of my second allotment so I have two and a bit - all worked with the chickens taking the "bit".  I was lucky as they weren't so populay back a while ago and I wouldn't get a second one now with the waiting lists etc..

i have my polytunnel on half of the original plot and with my raspberry patches and fruit cage have just about the perfect amount of space - plenty without it being very hard work.!

Old Bird

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 16:28:44 »
When I took on my plot in 2001 I had the choice of about 8 plots.  I had one and my daughter had the one next to it.  Eventually she gave up and I took it on, so I now have two (but one of them is in hubby's name)

The current advice from our allotment dept. is that people should only be given one plot because of the long waiting lists, but that doesn't apply where someone has had two plots for some years and is cultivating both of them.

These days I start newcomers off with either a quarter plot (about 25' x 25') or a half plot.  If they do well and a bigger plot becomes available I will let them move.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 16:39:19 »
Jealous Old bird!!!!  :( good for you though  :) Unfortunately I never have that spot of good luck. There was a huge over run plot left standing for 2 years, not far from mine own. I kept inquiring about it and now suddenly it has been zapped up  :( it would have been ideal for chickens, fruit and a few more veggies. Never mind. My present plot isn't quit 10 poles, so perhaps I can put my name down on the waiting list  :)

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 16:43:35 »
There's no statutory limit, though the allotment authority has the power under S.28 Small Holdings and Allotments Acts 1908 to makes rules about how big the plots can be and how many can be let to who.

If your plot is bigger than 40 poles it's not an allotment garden as such and so you lose some statutory protections and limitations under the acts, but that's probably not the case if you're seperately renting several smaller plots.

Thank you Unwashed!  :)

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 16:50:04 »
How would you have time and energy to look after several plots??? One is already hard work!  ???

hahaha!!! easy!!  :) My allotment is my sanctuary. I've never felt so fit as I do now. God willing, I hope I can keep up with this for many more years!I love being out in all the seasons, watching sunsets and observing seasonal changes. Amazing stuff!!   :)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 17:11:50 »
When I left Leeds I had 6 plots,3 on one site,3 on another. At Headingley station I could have had 20 if I wanted-maybe the 80`s were a good time? or was that a bad time? Ash road was popular but had spare plots-Headingley station had loads of uncultivated space

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 17:35:18 »

We have one guy in his 70's, who has two full-size plots, total 40 poles plus hedges. He manages to keep them immaculate, but he's down for several hours every day, rain or shine. Not many could manage it.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 18:39:25 »
I had two full plots , ie proper 17 pole ones,   :P  but 34 poles is a lot of land............

expect within a couple of years Apple will be selling iPlots...........
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 20:34:43 »
I had two full plots , ie proper 17 pole ones,   :P  but 34 poles is a lot of land............

expect within a couple of years Apple will be selling iPlots...........

Now that is funny. ;D ;D ;D

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 21:14:50 »
I have 3 plots, each one is approx 400 square meters (i haven't a clue what this is in poles).  There is no waiting list on our allotment site and there are plots still available, so i don't feel guilty having 3 plots.  I keep them all tidy nearly weed free...i love it and do spend a lot of time down there
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal