Author Topic: Does anyone know crab grass?  (Read 2053 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Does anyone know crab grass?
« on: July 20, 2010, 15:17:35 »
Since manuring, I have found a weird variety of grass growing all around the veg. It does not seem to look like couch grass, it has short roots but it is quite virulent. I have concluded that it is crab grass - its characteristic is that when you pull it, it snaps off at the base, like a crab's claw! I am finding it to be  a real pain.
But is it really a problem? should I just clear around plants and hoe the reast? or will it cover the whole plot next year if I don't dig it all out now?

I am a little annoyed, as since I spread manure,a whole lot of weeds I never had before have appeared, mainly this stupid grass, loads of fat hen and something that looks like pineapple weed, (although I also got a load of Portulaca oleracea, or purslane, which is eaten in France as a salad! So I picked most of that and have been adding it to salads!).
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: Does anyone know crab grass?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 16:03:41 »
We have cra b grass in the US. It dies when the weather freezes. But if you let it go to seed this year....
you know what happens.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:03:48 »
eurgh sure.  :(
I find it really tough to dig out!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 13:06:45 »
eurgh sure.  :(
I find it really tough to dig out!!!
yesterday we had some rain which softened our hard ground so I used a dandylion digger to help pull some crab grass out.
You're correct about it being difficult. Ours is going to seed here. If yours doesn't have seen heads perhaps covering it with cardboard to keep the light out would stop it for this season until it freezes to death?

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 13:19:45 »
Hmm hoeing seems to keep it back, Haven't seen any sign of seeds... trouble is it grows really close to the plants! how annoying.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 14:30:07 »
Hmm hoeing seems to keep it back, Haven't seen any sign of seeds... trouble is it grows really close to the plants! how annoying.
It always heads for open ground here. Funny thing is the young plant looks innocuous. Then it ecomes a monster overnight.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal