Author Topic: gardeners world  (Read 7211 times)

stevew451

• Not So New ...
gardeners world
« on: May 07, 2010, 20:49:31 »
is this programme becoming just a cop out spending most of the time at garden shows and show gardens without showing enough of the hows and whys and what to does

superspud

• Half Acre
Re: gardeners world
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 21:41:58 »
I think it is, I get no information out of it at all these days.
Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 22:36:32 »
If you have Sky watch the Beechgrove Garden~BBC SCOTLAND CHANNEL 990 SKY
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 22:43:35 »

I watch it on my PC on BBC iPlayer

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 08:30:30 »

I sooooooooooooooooooo love this program.  There is so much useful information in one half hour program!
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

dinah46

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 13:35:35 »
Thanks for the link, I have just watched and enjoyed Beechgrove garden, why on earth do we have to put up with Gardeners World when we could be watching a good gardening program like this ???

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 13:44:05 »
On iplayer you can watch the last 10 GW progs - yawn!! - whereas Beechgrove is only kept until the next programme is on. Is there no-one on the BBC reading this site?????

Beechrove = good! GW = boring!!

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 13:59:05 »
Only one question which should be obvious even too me but I like to check, is it every friday same time as GW ?.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 14:33:00 by superspud »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 15:46:34 »
It's a programme made for BBC Scotland and usually pops up on BBC2 Scotland on Wednesdays but sometimes it changes channel and time and even day.

It's produced and directed by an outside company so no-one is busy trying to prove they deserve promotion to sexier Beeb shows by indulging in daft camera angles and gimmicks.  It's a good practical programme with advice and trials of particular relevance to Scotland with its shorter growing season but is also a gem giving good advice applicable to most gardeners.   They do good on-line fact sheets too.

Meanwhile, GW is improving but I do think the big shows like Malver, Tatton and Hampton Court deserve their own programmes and better coverage.   GW should be about inspirational and practical gardens and gardening.
Obxx - Vendée France

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 16:53:55 »
I actually got to watch a bit of it on the i'net, all I can say is ... thank god for scotland and their sensible approach to things, I intend to record it via digital tomorrow at 5.30pm on bbc2 scotland. Now can anyone up there tell me what happened to my other fave scot show, Rab C Nesbitt  ;D ;D.

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 16:58:43 »
Gardeners World have been covering the gardening shows for years so it really shouldn't come as a surprise, though I agree they should have their own slot. What I find more annoying is the way it disappears altogether every time there's snooker/tennis etc. I've watched Beechgrove on iplayer too and find it hilarious - like Gardeners World from the 70s  :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 17:00:03 »
I am starting to call my potatoes *tatties* I think I am enjoying beechgrove too much  ;D
Just to mention that Beechgrove is quite a bit behind us here in the south but the programme is still great !!

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 17:11:04 »
I have sky and never seem to find any programs on growing veg, infact there doesn't seem to be any gardening programs on at all, theres a lovely little program on cbeebies called I can cook, that as a veg patch ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 17:42:36 »
Just watched the latest Beechgrove Garden on i-player and enjoyed it. Thought it was telling that the brassicas they were planting were grown by their own people and came wrapped in newspaper;they would probably have been bought in in posh pots on GW.

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 19:38:45 »
I actually got to watch a bit of it on the i'net, all I can say is ... thank god for scotland and their sensible approach to things, I intend to record it via digital tomorrow at 5.30pm on bbc2 scotland. Now can anyone up there tell me what happened to my other fave scot show, Rab C Nesbitt  ;D ;D.

I agree about GW - Carole Kline is a fantastic gardener and should have been given the main part instead of that guy (who's name I dont remember because I stopped watching yonks ago) Beechgrove is fantastic if you live in Scotland, as most gardening advice programs (on radio and TV) are about 3 or 4 weeks ahead of us - and finish 3 or 4 weeks after us - and the crew at Beechgrove are up against the same problems as I seem to be.  I joined the email list and get all the details about the program around the time it is aired, so if I miss the broadcast, I have the backup newsheet.  As for Rab C- well there was a new series aired earlier this year - but the bad news is ......

Rab has dried out - Mary doll is older and wiser, and his son is into drugs.  Jamsie is still as bad as ever - and ... well I am sure you can guess the rest ..

Meg
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 19:42:17 by meg_gordon »

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 22:06:20 »
I've just watched Beechgrove for the first time and it really is very good isn't it.  It's full of gardening with normal people and normal presenters.  Very much like GW was 25 years ago.  I'll watch it regularly now.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

firefightersbabe

• Not So New ...
  • A new, but enthusiastic learner!
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 22:46:33 »
It's really great to hear that so many people think Beechgrove is a valuable resource in terms of gardening programmes.

I can remember years ago, my mum wanting to watch this prog, when Jim McColl was in it with George Barron, and us kids thinking how boring it was!!  Little did I know, that 30 years later, I'd be hooked, and setting the V+ box to record it every week! 

As you've all said, its informative without the fancy camera angles, and down to earth, which is what we actually want.  Tell us HOW to plant tatties, caulis and the rest!    Also, I guess, for me, its good, as I live just south of them in Aberdeen, so, when they say, oh, we've had a hard frost in May (or whenever!!!) it's certainly something I'm quite likely to suffer too.  Drought and hosepipe bans are just something we hear about on GW - not something we experience really!!!

Happy watching everyone!!!

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 23:09:15 »
I love Beechgrove reminds me how GW used to be  years ago. Spreading the word around at the site about this. Pity its not on the main BBC channels im sure it would get more viewers! Dont bother with GW  got better things to do on friday evenings now!!

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 00:56:46 »
I find GW very boring. I also seen Beechgrove on iplayer and find it far better, I also watch the gardening programme on S4C I know its in welsh but I put on the subtitles both are a lot better than GW.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 05:59:21 »
I hadn't heard of it, but will be checking it out on iplayer now.........thanks  ;) :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal