Author Topic: Wandering ducks!  (Read 1870 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Wandering ducks!
« on: November 21, 2004, 16:55:23 »
I trimmed the flight feathers on our call ducks. (Don't worry they grow back and it is no more painful than having your nails cut). The idea was to stop them flying off to pastures new. BUT how do I stop them walking out on us?. Looked out of the bedroom window this morning and there halfway to the castle moat in the village was a line of ducks. Mine!
So went down and shouted across the field. "Where do you lot think you are going?"
Daft I know, but believe it or not they turned round and came back, all in single file.
But guess where they were at bedtime.
Busy working the field over.
Fortunately they decided that home was safer for the night!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re:Wandering ducks!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 17:58:04 »
Eric, so pleased your ducks came home, your place wouldn't be the same without them.  I am really impressed with your knowledge on how to trim their feathers correctly, I wouldn't know where to start for fear of hurting them : :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:Wandering ducks!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 18:05:01 »
It wouldn't, the pond might be clean and there would not be a line of little holes all the way round the edge of the lawn.
What is really bad is that when I went for my morning stroll, I could hear them calling nearly half a mile down the road. Not as bad as peacocks or guinea fowl, but LOUD!
Flight feather trimming is shown in every book on poultry keeping.
Gardening is the great leveller.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal