Author Topic: when can i.......  (Read 1635 times)

beanie3

• Half Acre
when can i.......
« on: March 16, 2010, 19:44:28 »
when can i plant after forking in bone, fish and blood?  I did this on Sunday can i plant my onion sets, garlic and broadbeans straight away ???.....i think i am a little late getting things in the ground so I am keen to get them in!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: when can i.......
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 20:04:08 »
No problem if you have forked it in it should be mixed and very little will come into direct contact.

robbo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:23:59 »
No problem if you have forked it in it should be mixed and very little will come into direct contact.

...........erm, are you not supposed to let BFB come into direct contact with plants?

Robbo.
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:43:22 »
Does this mean i can sprinkle my bfb over my allotment now as the ground is clear for a few weeks ????

K

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 13:18:41 »
Does this mean i can sprinkle my bfb over my allotment now as the ground is clear for a few weeks

Yes ! but whats the point?

a) there is nothing to feed.........apart from weeds.

b) If we get a wet spell your fertilser can leach away.

c) Regarding it touching you plants I don't think this matters, certainly not in my experience!  But then again most of my stuff is grown in three pots prior to planting so this could well be the reason I have no problems with my methods!

For example,

I prepare my bed, add my fertiliser and then follow on with my planting!i.e. all on the same day!

I see no point in doing it at seperate times e.g. prepare,.......fertilise........plant out!

But then thats me ...........different from most people  ::)

My way; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Slide%20Shows/Soil%20preparation%20ss/soil%20preparation%20ss.html

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 16:28:13 »
Thanks for the advice guys - i rolled with it and got my onions, garlic and broad beans in today.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 16:33:58 »
i think i am a little late getting things in the ground so I am keen to get them in!

Like what??

Apart from planting some onions in the Autumn, I don't have anything growing.

Neil

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 21:07:04 »
a bit of sprouting broc and a few leeks from last year. nothing new this year yet. No rush.

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:19:51 »
Thanks guys......my fault for not giving you more info from the start......i am a little pushed for time as i am training to run the london marathon so my weekends are full of running (which i may add i am getting a little bored of now!) and i have no time for the garden - so i booked a day off yesterday especially to throw a few things in. (so i am hoping i am not too early and the mighty frost comes back!?!)

Roll on end of April so i can give my garden and allotment the time it deserves!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 08:36:58 »
Wow Beanie3! Good luck with the marathon :)
I've only got the over wintered garlic and PSB in and a few broad beans so far .....

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 11:47:56 »
Beanie, don't panic! :)

It is too early for many things at the moment, I got out my records last night and was amazed that I really didn't start sowing seeds until May both the last two years, apart from onions, garlic and broad beans.  Here I was thinking I am a bit behind - I had a real good chuckle to myself! 

If you are growing brassicas the seeds perhaps need starting off indoors/greenhouse now but most things can wait so you can concentrate on your marathon and come back to the veggies later.

I really admire you for running it and wish you good luck for it, keep us posted and let us know how you get on, but don't worry about the veggies - you see people planting early but they than have more worry and the later ones seem to always catch up. ;)

T.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 12:41:47 »
Plant when the soil warms up. It's too early in the open ground yet, and there's plenty of time. I've got trays of seeds on the windowsill, but I'm not thinking about direct sowing. You could start a lot of things indoors, and have them ready to plant out by the middle of next month, when things should have warmed up a bit.

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 19:31:30 »
thanks tulipa - well do indeed - and thanks for putting my mind at ease.  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal