Author Topic: satellite  (Read 2188 times)

Sarah-b

• Acre
satellite
« on: November 04, 2004, 13:40:44 »
Not exactly computers/ internet, but a question hopefully someone can help me with.

At our house, on the side, is a satellite dish. Does that mean I can get more channels on my TV? What else would I need to get - and does already having a dish mean that it would all work out cheaper? or do dishes come free when you sign up for a sky contract?

Bit clueless,
Sarah.

rdak

Re:satellite
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 14:10:04 »
Sarah

It all depends on whether it is a Sky dish or not. Is it small, black and full of holes?!

Ross

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 14:12:08 »
Hmmm, not sure. Could well be. It's definitely not big.
If it is then what?
And if it wasn't, then what?
Cheers,
sb

rdak

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 16:15:12 »
If it's a Sky dish:
-you have 2 options
1) You can start a new contract with Sky- they will come around with your set-top box and a dish. When they see you have a dish already, they will use that one and just make sure it works. You will pay a monthly subscription for at least 12 months. If you end contract after this time, you can keep box and dish, but only free channels will work
2) You can buy a second hand Sky box e.g. on Ebay, connect it up yourself and watch the free channels. You may need to get a free card to insert into the box. call Sky on 08706 06 11 11 for more information about subscription free Sky, but they will probably try and get you to subscribe. Maybe you could pose this question in the forums on www.digitalspy.co.uk

If it's not a Sky dish, then it's probably an old Astra analogue dish. You would have to buy an old analogue box and make sure it's OK to work with the dish, then make sure the dish is pointing at the right place. Even then the channels are going to be mostly non-English!

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 13:30:36 »
Try moneysavingsexpert.com. Sarah. There is a competition for finding the cheapest freeview box. About £40 so far, from Argos or Curry.Not sure whether satellite capable.

rdak

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 13:51:21 »
freeview boxes are not used with satellites. they use your normal roof aerial, although you do have to be in coverage area (most people now are) and you also have to have a good quality aerial.

Boots are currently selling a freeview box for £39

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 16:51:29 »
Yes...I have an ex-Sky system with small dish and black box with a card...but...card changes every so often...the last time denying me Channel 5 , which I can't get on the normal aerial.Lots of free stuff in addition to the main channels, and including all types of music, Classic FM ,Jazz and so on.Plus Asian and Welsh.Wouldn't go back to Sky, too many adverts and on at the same time on each channel.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal