Author Topic: A new strategy for toads!  (Read 7360 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
A new strategy for toads!
« on: August 15, 2009, 21:07:59 »
I saw something new in the garden today!

When I was weeding round the base of a tomato plant, the earth shifted in a way that definitely meant an animal was under there - I brushed aside some soil and had a look and it was a toad!

It's still out there now.

That tomato plant suffers from snails climbing up the wall and eating the ripe tomatoes - I never have eaten one yet! And I'm guessing that the toad is helping me out a bit there.

Clever don't you think? Toads must observe the habits of their food, and then plan their hunting strategies.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: A new strategy for toads!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 21:50:36 »
I wish my frogs were such quick learners... I think I have "remedial" ones...  :-X

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 22:25:14 »
oh dear!

Well toads are very common while frogs are becoming rarer - maybe frogs should take note of their bumpy cousins

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 00:45:47 »
toads are more common? i have never seen one, only got frogs around here :( but i'll take what i can get :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 10:16:51 »
Toads are great aren't they! We have several in our garden and I love watching them, if you sit outside after some rain in the early evening you can watch them crossing the garden, it gets quite busy out there at times.

A couple of years ago I had a similar surprise and found one had half buried itself in a pot with a geranium.

Saw a frog yesterday on my plot - the 1st I've seen up there so very pleased to know they have found my plot  :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 22:40:36 »
Yes they waddle about all over the place. A large one with sort of leopard skin markings sits near our back door every night now - I presume catching some insects or slugs.

But the toad in the hole hasn't returned to his hole - I hope I didn't spoil it for him/her!

I've never been lucky enough to have toads or frogs before, and I really like them.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 06:58:09 »
Yes they waddle about all over the place. A large one with sort of leopard skin markings sits near our back door every night now - I presume catching some insects or slugs.

The larger ones are (usually) the females, when you see a smaller one with darker colouring they will be the males. We're planning a small pond in our garden so they can spawn  :)

But the toad in the hole hasn't returned to his hole

;D  ;D  ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 22:35:03 »
That's nice to know, I didn't know how to tell male and female ones apart.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 19:52:00 »
 :) I love toads, have loads on my lottie of all different ages and sizes,they refuse to use the log piles and shady safe places I have made for them,

they prefer to go in my greenhouses which bake during the day and live in my tomato and melon grow bags, I also have newts in my tomato pots which are quite high... can they climb? / shades x
grow your own way

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 21:29:40 »
:) I love toads, have loads on my lottie of all different ages and sizes,they refuse to use the log piles and shady safe places I have made for them,

they prefer to go in my greenhouses which bake during the day and live in my tomato and melon grow bags, I also have newts in my tomato pots which are quite high... can they climb? / shades x

wow! you are lucky.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 19:36:30 »
Yesterday I found one in my walk-in coldframe, nice and fat and must have been finding enough bugs somehow to stay alive. There is no water in there which concerns me so I tried to catch him to carry him out but no luck.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 16:48:54 »
 :) they only need water to breed  in GrannieAnnie it must like it in your coldframe / shades x
grow your own way

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 07:36:21 »
Angle Shades - I love the story about the newt! I only tend to see them when I uncover or move something around on the plot.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 22:13:39 »
1066  :) my newt is still in my tomato pot, she comes out and looks at me when I pick the toms, she's in the Gardeners Delight pot,every time I pick a tomato I'm scared others will fall and squish her ::)/ shades x
grow your own way

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 07:01:51 »
aawwww  :D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 07:17:53 »
I have lots of toadlets on site, thought they might be frogs but they are getting more toadlike by the day. 

But I have never seen a newt out of water.  That is great.  Can you put some kind of cover across the top of the pot to stop the tomatoes falling on the newt.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 23:04:30 »
 :) Nancy the Newt was missing today ;but doesn't appear to have been squished by a Gardeners Delight ;D/ shades x
grow your own way

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 09:28:04 »
I don't know what Nancy's up to.

Yesterday I found a small toad (maybe the ex-tomato one) in the compost heap, buried under compost and another large speckled one strolling around under the squash plants (just stretching its legs)

I wonder how many there are, and I think it's a shame that, if I keep on taming the garden, there'll be less space for them. (there's loads of dense bindweed and dock plants)

I think it will have to be done gradually, so until the garden plants get large, I'll keep some large weeds.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 11:27:01 »
here's wishing Nancy all the best in her new life and location  :D

PigeonSeed - the toads in our garden seem to find all sorts of dark/damp corners to hide in, never quite sure where exactly they overwinter. But then our garden is certainly not pristine!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 18:11:20 »
I sometimes find them hiding under the mulch. Toads don't seem to mind bare soil as long as they've got a hiding place. Frogs don't like being away from thick vegetation.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal