Author Topic: 1st ever batch of stawberry jam  (Read 2088 times)

xlynettex

• Quarter Acre
1st ever batch of stawberry jam
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:55:54 »
 ;D i don't like shop bought strawberry jam. so wasn't looking forward to making some. but i got to say I'm so pleased the taste is so different it was gorgeous. I'm now really looking forward to making loads more and trying out different recipes

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: 1st ever batch of stawberry jam
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 12:02:28 »
My  jam never set as much as I expected.  Still OK though and does taste delicious.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 12:04:23 »
Came to look for the recipe!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 12:07:05 »
Came to look for the recipe!
I purchased a bag of SilverSpoon Sugar with Pectin.  It has Jam recipes on the back of the packaging.  £1.07 from Sainsburys
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 13:40:13 »
Strawberry jam can be difficult to set, as the fruit is low in pectin. It also tends to bubble up a lot in the saucepan, so I only make small quantities at a time and use a large pan, as if it doesnt boil rapidly enough it can take ages to set. Try to use only good quality fruit, and either just ripe or slightly under ripe fruit. If at all possible, don't wash the fruit, just wipe it if its a bit dusty. Also, fruit thats been growing during a wet spell can be more watery that fruit thats been growing during dry sunny weather. I usually use caster sugar, and often get better results with cane sugar (sold in Sainsburys as "Fairtrade" sugar) rather than beet sugar (domestically grown).
For the recipe - I use 3 1/2 pounds of strawberries, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 3 pounds of sugar and a thingy of butter. To prepare the strawberries I just hull them and cut up any large ones, as I don't like a jam with big pieces of fruit, but that's just my personal preference. Then the strawberries and lemon juice go into the pan to simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes until really soft. Then take the pan off the heat and add the sugar, stirring until its completely dissolved. Its very important that all the sugar dissolves before you boil it up. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
Test for a set (I use the saucer method).  While you are waiting for the jam on the cold saucer to cool to see if the surface will wrinkle, take the pan off the heat. this ensures that if the setting point has been reached the jam wont continue to cook and risk spoiling.  When setting point is reached, stir in the thingy of butter. This will disperse / dissolve the scum, but if any is left you can skim it off with a slotted spoon if you like. Leave to stand for 15 minutes, then pot and cover. This makes about 4 - 5 jars. Enjoy!

Kitty Katt

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal