Author Topic: potatoes  (Read 2685 times)

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
potatoes
« on: June 18, 2009, 16:56:43 »
Having started on my earlies i have been thinking what to grow next year. What are people's favourites and why? looking for inspiration as this year i just put in the potatoes that the association sold.  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 17:09:46 »
we grow rocket earlies in the poly, red duke of york are a new one this year, very impressed by the yield and taste, rocket, grew them last year and were impressed, kestrel and desiree we always grow..red spuds don't seem to get the same amount of attention from slugs  ;D

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 17:19:16 »
Duke of york and pink fur apple are my fav......... but i am trying Bambino this year will let you know when i dig a few

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 17:55:00 »
Four plants of Rocket for earliness.  Then Sharpes Express - a form of late first early with marvellous flavour, a high dry matter content (lovely for chips) and excellent keeper, then Nadine, Kestrel and Charlotte to fill the storage sacks in the shed.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 18:05:51 »
Started getting up International Kidney.  I think they are as good as Jersey Royals.   Will be planting them next year  I sanyone else growing them.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 21:47:03 »
Started getting up International Kidney.  I think they are as good as Jersey Royals.   Will be planting them next year  I sanyone else growing them.

Actually they`re one and the same, but only the ones grown in Jersey may be called Jersey Royals, all the rest are called International Kidney.  Personally I find they can be very disappointing.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 21:48:26 »
Pink fir apple - the taste is heavenly and they don't get too big too quickly.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 21:57:57 »
Epicure, red dukes, anya, picasso, desiree, Eddies... and some fun ones like Aura in a dustbin...

Tattieman

• Half Acre
    • www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 22:45:05 »
I just lifted one bag of Winston tonight. I planted one potato in a bag with 17litres of compost and I got 4lbs 6oz of potatoes. Result I would say. I wanted them for showing but they are far too big. Biggest one was 10.6oz.
People said the Winston were not nice to eat but I like them.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 08:20:51 »
We planted a few Smile up - just because Mrs Stick liked the name.

Hi by the way - been a guest browser of the forum for a while now and thought I might as well register and join in the chat

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 08:34:56 »
Hello non-stick and welcome to A4A!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 08:52:15 »
I have grown Dunluce for the last couple of years and they are very tasty with a good crop.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 10:11:31 »
hi stick, welcome to a4a

lbb

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 10:26:11 »
My family love Pink Fir Apple too. We also love Charlotte - I know it's dead common and in all the supermarkets, but you can't beat the taste and texture of grow-your-own spuds. Red Duke of York is good roasted or steamed but gets very mushy when you boil it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 10:41:28 »
I find Red Duke varies... it boils better after it has stored for a bit... and in a potato sack in the outside loo it keeps til after Christmas...  :)

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 19:45:36 »
i really fancy trying red duke of york, if it is a early potato can i plant it now for the winter? Can i plant it where the rockets that i have just eaten where? :)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 21:07:25 »
 :D Nicola and Maris bard for earlies / shades x
grow your own way

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 20:18:14 »
Rocket and Kestrel, I'm still havn't decided on my maincrop.  :-\      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 20:24:57 »
I've gone for Swift, Kestrel, Desiree and Cara this year. I'll see how what they're all like before deciding on what to go for next year.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 20:48:39 »
I live in Ayrshire, and our local new potatoes are sold as "Ayrshires" but to the rest of the world they are Epicures.  I have grown them in bags for the last six years and they are fantastic.  Driving up the coast from Ballantrae to Skelmorlie, you can see the "tattie howkers" - these days mechanical rather than human -  moving from Girvan where the first harvest is lifted late April all the way up to Skelmorlie as the summer progresses.  My rose tinted memories of growing up aside - they are also tasty new potatoes.  Sandy soil helps here by the way and the old fertiliser used to be seaweed!

I have Golden Wonders as main crop - again, a potato I grew up with, so know how to cook them - buggers for breaking up when boiling - so 8 minutes simmering, then pour leaving two or three tablespoons of water and steam for the last 8 or 9 minutes.  The BEST mash potatoes in the world - and roasted - well - they are fantastic.

Suppose you can guess now that I LOVE POTATOES!!!!

Meg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal