Author Topic: Sound card  (Read 4186 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Sound card
« on: September 17, 2004, 16:45:43 »
On the kids computer (my old one that expired and got rebuilt!) There is no sound coming out. The thingy comes up saying that there is no sound card. Well up until a week ago it was working! Soooooooooooooooo  have they pushed something they shouldn't have, ie; disabled the sound card? What is the sound card, and can it just dissapear? Any suggestions gratefully recieved! :) Dottie P.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:Sound card
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 17:44:36 »
The sound card is a card that plays sound -but you guessed that ::) .It will sit in the back of your PC with the video card (that the monitor plugs into) &c. It should have sockets for speakes and a mic -generally with some cryptic symbol beside them. If there's a recangular hole about 3" high and 1/2" wide the kids have knicked the sound card! If there's no such card like that then -you don't have a soundcard.

It could be it's come loose or got gunk in it -in which case you take the case off the computer, pull out the soundcard, and shove it back in firmly (if you see a sandwich wedged in the slot remove it). Or it could be that the OS has lost it, try restarting the machine -I think windows does adevice scan when it comes up.

Jeremy.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 17:47:31 by derbex »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 21:24:59 »
Don't spose it could be anything simple like the speaker unit being switched off or the speaker plug in the tower dis-lodged or removed? ???

Roy :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 16:36:03 »
Sorry if this sounds very basic, but not knowing how much you know makes it difficult, apologies in advance; but....if you have an icon at bottom right of screen of a yellow speaker....is there a red X through it? If so, right click it and undo the X. If there is no speaker icon, click 'start'; 'settings'; 'control panel' and curser down to 'sounds' and see if the 'mute' setting has been enabled.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 17:00:05 »
Thanks for answering! It gets curiouser and curiouser!

Jeremy, no sandwiches shoved in the back! Have got the speaker symbols, and I know there is a soundcard in there cos it worked till a few days ago! I took one look at unscrewing the back panel and panicked! :o  :o I will give that a go tomorrow, and let you know what happens!! (memo to self, turn off power or get a new permed look!! ;D  ;D  ;D )

Roy doubled checked the speaker points yesterday, everything was where it should be!

Ken, had checked that, but went back and double checked it just now! It says there is no audio device, so summits amiss!!

Will let you know how I get on, and thank-you again lads x ;D Dottie P.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 18:47:24 »
Well I took the back off, mighty dusty in there, so had a bit of a clean with a makeup blusher brush, and the vacuum!(Did that VERY carefully!)
 Well, I may as well be staring at the inside of the space shuttle for all the sense it made to me!! :o  But have to say I pathetically did take piccies in case one of you would know what I am supposed to be looking for in the way of the sound card, or some sort of noise making device!
What I can't figure out is that it says no sound device, but that machine HAD sound darn it!!

(Oh and why do the towers have to be soooooooooo big, when there is sooooooo  little in them??!!)

Oh and BTW Jeremy, perm looks great! ;D

Dottie P.

new potter

• Not So New ...
    • Helping gambia children
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 20:41:02 »
if you are running windows xp or me, have you tried a system restore?
or try to reload the sound card drivers
hope this might help ???
NP

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 23:34:08 »
Thanks NP, sound card drivers  what would they look like? A cd??  No sign of them on the remove/add hardware :(

new potter

• Not So New ...
    • Helping gambia children
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 09:52:39 »
if you know what the sound card is (make etc) you could download them from the net did the card come with a set up cd? or if using xp click on start then control panel then system then hardware then
device manger then look for sound from the list and click on that that then might tell you what the problem is? if it is not installed then you need to find the driver from the cd or the net
hope this helps  ???
np

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 16:06:38 »
It's unlikely you have 'lost' the driver. If you're sure the set-up is configured ok and has not been disabled, there's a possibility that your sound card has been dislodged, especially if the kids have been trying to fit extra speakers or ear-phones/mic. Take the cover off again, (observing non-curly hair precautions) and you will see probably around 3 or 4 'cards' that are plugged into the side (usually) of the computer but screwed into the back panel. The sound card is the one your speakers are plugged into. Alongside the speaker outlet at the back are other outlets such as 'mic in' 'Audio in' and maybe other speaker outlets depending on your system. If the srew is loose it's possible the card isn't making contact along all of the pins.
Gently wriggle the whole card back into place. Don't wiggle it up and down or you might break it! Making sure it's right home. Put it all back together and try again.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 16:07:27 by kenkew »

motherhenswebmaestro

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 21:04:22 »
running before walking
1) speakers attached  - with live batteries if necesary?
2) any noise at all??
if its windows do you get that irritating chime noise when it starts up ?
if its windows, what version
95, 98, ME,XP ? sorting this out is different if its XP
motherhensWebmaestro
www.citychicken.co.uk/hosting .
gentoo linux/KDE/apache/MySql

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 13:49:50 »
By all means check from the speakers to the plug into the 'puter (including power connections, have you a light on your speakers?) Although I get the impression you've already checked the obvious.
I'm guessing you're running win98 or ME. You could try a search for the sound card by clicking 'start', 'control panel' 'Install new hardware'. Windows will then do a search for all fitted components. If it still doesn't work then my next step is certainly to check the card into 'puter connection.
Not sure that hearing computer activity sounds makes much difference, M'hen.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 15:12:44 »
I have done all that is suggested above! thank you for all your help and still no sound....it seems to have dissapeared off the system!! Am running XP if that is any help :-\  Going to have another play this afternoon if I get time........... But just cos I am sad and have no idea what I am looking at, here is what I saw when I took it's back off.....I wouldn't know a sound card if it jumped out and bit me! Am I right in presuming it is the goldy coloured box on the left???

Anything looking untoward to anyone??? :)

Whilst just having a play, this message came up......"VIA AC'97 Enhanced audio controller (WDM)
Windows cannot load the device driver. It may be corrupted or missing. (code 39)
 Is this what I am looking for????
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 16:05:04 by Doris_Pinks »

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2004, 17:20:45 »
Doris,

down a bit, and left a bit with first photo -the soundcard should be just off your picture at 90 degrees to the motherboard.

Also this might help with your error message (looks like it's missing the drivers)

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=17&threadid=58684&enterthread=y

Jeremy
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 17:21:19 by derbex »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2004, 17:55:02 »
It's the Golden Shot! (showing my age now :-[)
Saw that message this afternoon Jeremy! Confused me even further!! ???  How can my drivers dissapear? Oh how I LOVE computers!!! NOT!   Will try taking the back off again and have another look, perm needs a refresh anyhow! ;D Thanks Jeremy  :-*

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2004, 13:08:39 »
Doris,

this is a sound card.

This is where it lives, sticking up (if the computer is lying flat), in a slot, with the brightly coloured plugs on the outside of the machine. To take it out you need to loosen the screw near the persons thumb in the picture.

Otherwise get 'Bernie the Bolt' round and clain on the insurance ;)

Jeremy http://

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2004, 14:50:33 »
Thanks for that Jeremy!
I had a play this morning, (This perm looks even better than the last one!) and BIG HORRAH! I got it working!!
Had even removed a sound card from and old non working machine to try, (wouldn't fit!!) Soooooooooo  pushed all the bits, nada, so went online and finally found somewhere to re install my sound card, et voila!! Two very happy Pinks children!!! Thank you all for your suggestions, a few rainy days and I got there in the end!  DP

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2004, 08:50:30 »
Well done DP!!!!I'm proud of ya.Another cap for you to wear along with cook ,nurse ,bottle washer, gardener etc. etc. etc.
I've watched this thread with great interest as i wouldnt have had a clue.But like you am willling to have a go.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 11:06:45 »
BB, it was approached with a certain amount of trepidation, and a brave "of course I can sort it out" look! I was wondering at one point wether I was doing more damage than good! Had visions of the computer blowing up and then the kids would have had to use mine! :o :o :o :o   But they are happy bunnies now! ;D

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2004, 16:47:59 »
Mega impressed DP !

Who needs a teenage whiz-kid, when supermum is in action !!   ;D  ;D

« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 16:48:56 by MagpieDi »
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal