Author Topic: where to plant trees?  (Read 2060 times)

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
where to plant trees?
« on: September 07, 2004, 13:23:16 »
another silly question guys!....
i am wanting to get a trio of minurette orchard trees for my plot but i am not sure where they should be planted in relation th casting shade etc. can anyone help? the trees only grow to about 6feet but are very thin less than a foot wide.

Jem

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:where to plant trees?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 13:30:10 »
You want them to be somewhere that won't cast shade onto your other crops (or your neighbour's if you want to keep up good relations!) At midday on a sunny day, stand in a possible place and see where the shadow falls.
gone to pot :D

GardnerJ

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 15:51:50 »
good idea! i will be a tree!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 16:00:06 »
At midday on a sunny day, stand in a possible place and see where the shadow falls.

Hmm in theory at midday there will be very little shadow with the sun high in the sky.

Mid morning and mid afternoon will be the key I think. Remember the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.  

Locate them at the northern end of your plot so as to prevent shading on your ground. Hopefully there is a path around you plot that no one minds being shaded.

Also with minerette trees, they do not create a huge amount of shade, plant them a meter or so apart and they will not form a solid slab of shade and no one will mind I would have thought.

Jerry

« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 16:01:49 by sandersj89 »
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

GardnerJ

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 16:47:52 »
thank you!
I will go and stand there at the weekend! it should be ready for me to rake by then so i will be able to se the size of it! hooray ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 00:12:51 »
Just a thought about shading your neighbours plot...how many people think about the shade they are creating when they plant their runner beans, sweetcorns, or erect their sheds.  Just a thought.  :)

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 09:08:15 »
We have to. Our (non-council) site only started letting us erect sheds earlier this year. Before we can do so we have to let the committee know where we want to put the shed and they contact the surrounding poltholders to see if they mind.

Luckily my neighbours didn't (and seeing as their main crop seems to be brambles I can't see how they could). I live close by, but the shed is still a bonus, otherwise all my tools would have to be stored in our small flat, and I wouldn't have anywhere to take shelter from sudden downpours, brew a cuppa, or store the BBQ!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 09:23:37 »
On a similar theme, my neighbour collects up the leaves of my deciduos bamboo tree that get blown off in autumn into her garden and kindly returns them back in our garden, isn't that sweet?

Roy ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal