Author Topic: New Dog Control Orders  (Read 8900 times)

Fenris

Re: New Dog Control Orders
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 20:16:47 »

It seems that we are not to be banned from all beaches in winter,and dogs can be let off the lead there. Also we don't have to have our dogs on the lead in all publicly accesible places. 4 dogs only on a lead is fact, and the 6ft. lead thing is only if you have been asked to put your dog on a lead to keep it under control.

Bear in mind that these orders once in place are very easy to amend.  It will only take a complaint or two.  Assume that will happen, if only driven by the anti-pet keeping animal rights people.

Take a trawl through the proposals and see if there is any law or regulation that already exists and which if enforced would cover the suggestions.

The 'officers'(who are also responsible for graffiti, street cleansing etc.) will be concentrating their efforts on known problem areas, so it looks like it's not as bad as it seems, thankgoodness.

The problem that will occur here is that if the 'officers' are 'productivity' driven they will concentrate on the easy targets.  i.e. the responisble dog owners who will pay their fixed penalties and who have assets to seize.  Just like in any other area of law enforcement.

What a shame the council didn't take time to objectively look at what they had written before they posted these proposals, it would have saved a lot of worry for a lot of people. ::) :)

I suspect the council were very well aware of what they had written and simply hoped no-one would notice.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 21:52:50 »
Oh woe is me Fenris, your are the fourth person to point this out to me today :(
I am obviously naive in the ways of the council. :-[
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 21:54:49 by Emagggie »
Smile, it confuses people.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 13:32:56 »
http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/information/factsheets/doglaw/presentlaw/

I thought all dogs had to be on a leads ?
Some owners have great contol over their dog and some have none which is frightening.
and yes I am a dog owner have been for many years.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 14:10:32 »
I wasn't aware, but the chap I spoke to did mention the ruling and dates.
I understand the need for dogs to be on a lead in an area where they could be a problem, but the way the info about 6ft only leads was presented was not clear. :)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 15:03:49 »
there are many law's

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/information/factsheets/doglaw/presentlaw/

have a read, any dog can turn and bite, it happened to me trying to part my two from fighting, yes I got bit and that night ended up in A&E with the drunks and druggies not nice. Good job my tetunus jab was up to date I was bad for a week or so.
My advice to all dog owners as well as gardeners ( which I am one) is make sure your jab is up to date you never know what is going to happen.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 23:02:21 »
Not been able to use the 'puter for a good few days so missed this thread. I think it's mostly been covered but just to add that I don't think the Guide Dogs for the Blind would look upon a no dogs off lead ruling very kindly. There's been so many dog related incidents lately that all dog owners need to tread very carefully and show the 'responsible' face at all times. I know that if our Terriers were not let off lead to exercise, they'd go stare crazy. I wander if such a ruling would include working dogs such as police dogs?

digswell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 22:27:54 »
There are already other councils across the country doing this to a greater or lesser degree, usually it is taken as an opportunity to harmonise various bylaws that are already in existance.

Certain areas of Hertfordshire it is illegal to let dogs off leads with one open space in particular having the rule that dogs can be off the lead when being walked around the edge of the space but they have to be prevented from wandering over the football pitches which take up the other 95% of the area!

I also know in Hichinbrook Park in Huntingdon dogs have to be on the lead at all times and kept to the designated pathways (Hichinbook Park for thse not in the know is a huge park, common and woodland area)

I would suspect that most of the affected aras in Southend already have bylaws stating dogs must be kept on leads, or more commonly kept under control. In theory it will mean all poop will be cleared up as it is often difficult to find it when the dog has been running around all over the place as I know from personal experience! Thankfully now my ex-racer doesn't hare around so much  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 22:41:33 »
Certain areas of Hertfordshire it is illegal to let dogs off leads with one open space in particular having the rule that dogs can be off the lead when being walked around the edge of the space but they have to be prevented from wandering over the football pitches which take up the other 95% of the area!
I have just sent in my thoughts to the person concerned suggesting this for a proposed banned area.It seems daft that no-one uses the field all week except dog walkers, so I can't see why we can't we use the perimeter.

digswell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 22:58:10 »
Only problem is how do you stop a dog running on to football pitches when they are excited at all this open space? Not everyone has well behaved dogs!

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 09:45:30 »
Surely the reason for insisting that dogs are on leads in public places etc is that it will be easier to prosecute than for fouling which requires the official person to actually see the offence taking place.   In a 30 mins dog walk it would only take a few seconds to do it's business whereas being off the lead could be much longer.   

Whilst the majority of dog owners take their responsibilities seriously, there are a minority (as always) who spoil it for everyone else.   It is these people that need to be targeted but the problem is catching them.  After a particular bad spate of pavement fouling on our road (on which a primary school is located), I telephoned the local dog warden who promised to increase his patrols.  I asked him how many people in the borough had been prosecuted for fouling and he said none !  The chances of him catching anyone are very slim unless he 'staked' out a road - and from 6am to 11pm.

Why is we always have to suffer the actions of the minority scum ?  And what is wrong with the people who bag up the dog poo and then leave it behind ?

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 13:00:44 »
I wonder about that one too, it takes far longer to biodegrade in a plastic bag.

Had a very promt reply this morning,In answer to my suggestion for more bins, apparently they pay per bin to empty them, so don't want to increase that cost by too much. :o Apparently we are all happy to take it home with us. ( I do, but would rather put it in a designated bin.)
We wont be able to use any part of the beach in summer, not even the mud flats at low tide as we would have to cross the beach which is a banned area.
Happy to say that two other points I ( and many others) made about particular dog walking areas here are to be re-defined before it goes before the council, and we have an extra week to put our points forward, so it does feel like we are getting somewhere. I've certainly got a great deal further on my own than if I had waited for our useless parish councillors. ::)

Old Ned

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 19:13:40 »
kendy, what right do you have to call people scum just because you don't agree with them?  You must be very narrow minded and judgemental, hope loads of people c*** on your street.
in my mind people who allow their dogs to c**** and not pick it up are as bad as you so you make good bed mates

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2009, 22:01:24 »
kendy, what right do you have to call people scum just because you don't agree with them?  You must be very narrow minded and judgemental, hope loads of people c*** on your street.
in my mind people who allow their dogs to c**** and not pick it up are as bad as you so you make good bed mates
Please can we keep this civilised? If you can't post a constuctive reply please don't post at all.

Old Ned

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2009, 23:30:35 »
yeah  calling people scum aint constructive

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 10:51:32 »
Do you own a dog? If so are you one of the people that leaves dog faeces behind? Is this why you are taking the comment so personally?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 14:25:11 »
The word scum is neither here or there.
Old Ned
The rest of you comments directed at another forum member ( Kendy ) that is not acceptable IMHO.
An apology would be in order.
Police dogs and working dogs like sheep dogs are exampt.
 If your dogs need more why not join a group which do things like jumping over hurdles in and out of tunnels etc just cannot think what their called.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 15:03:27 by teresa »

Kendy

• Half Acre
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2009, 14:30:39 »
Sorry ?

I am referring to the people who leave their dog's dirt behind as scum - how can you not agree that this is disgusting behaviour ?   Repectable people do not do this !

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 14:39:35 »
I'm with you kendy, people who allow their dogs to foul footpaths or who bag up the faces and then hang them from trees (  ??? ??? ???) are scum.

Not sure what you need to aplogise for?!
Best laid plans and all that

Kendy

• Half Acre
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2009, 14:43:17 »
Thanks for your support.

I was saying 'sorry' as more of an exclamation i.e. "sorry, what are you talking about ".

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2009, 14:59:55 »
Kendy,
 I am sorry just read my remarks again. :-[
My comments were intended for Old Ned's comments against you.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal