Author Topic: speed cameras  (Read 3713 times)

ACE

• Hectare
speed cameras
« on: November 20, 2008, 17:09:55 »
Now don't get me wrong here, but these new rules on speeding are a step too much. Going 20mph over is going to get you more points, good job as you know you are breaking the law and are being a threat to everybody else on the road. But still getting points if you are just over is wrong. Speed limits apart from outside schools are out of date, as road surfaces, breaking systems and tyres have improved considerably since they were first brought in.

Most of the 'safety cameras' are sited to get a good return, like halfway down a hill so you have to watch your speedo instead of the road, very easy to inadvertantly slip over by a few mph. I have 3 of these on the way to work and then I have to use a road where a dozen or so lives have been lost in the last 10 years. Guess what? no 'safety camera'! But they would not catch the poor motorist out so easily there.

In the old days if you were driving sensibly it did not matter if you drifted over by a couple of mph, but these 'safety cameras' are exact.I could handle a fine for being  slightly over, but points can cost you your licence and your livelyhood not to mention extra costs on your insurance.

No I have not just been caught, just annoyed when listening to the news.

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: speed cameras
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 17:29:25 »
The problem I have with them ACE is that they only catch you for speeding.  You could be drunk as a skunk, high as a kite on drugs, but they are incapable of picking that up.

valmarg

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 19:13:37 »
The Government say the safety of the public comes first when they site these cameras but as Ace has said they are mostly sited where it is very easy to go over the limit especially coming down a hill or in some cases not far from roundabouts etc.
They way i see it is that the revenue they can generate comes first and the safety of the public comes second as far as the Government goes or they would all be sited at the various black spots throughout the country.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 19:54:15 »
If they ban too many drivers, they would lose revenue from fuel taxes.

Could this new policy be the government's fight back against people using satnavs to avoid such cameras?
Are the insurance companies in on this?

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 20:47:04 »
Hubby got caught a few times and i bought him a camera detector that tells him when he is near a speed trap !!!

Bean_Queen

• Half Acre
  • growfruitandveg
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 21:45:00 »
My hubby treats the speed signs as minimums, not maximums.

He scares the bejeezus out of me.

I hope all you speeders are giving cyclists and animals a wide enough clearance?  That's 6 feet, not 6 inches, btw.
 :o

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 22:10:17 »
cyclists are fair game. But I always give horses a wide berth, why do they always rear up when you give them a toot.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 22:19:56 »
road surfaces, braking systems and tyre technology may have improved, but human bodies ain't! we still get pretty smashed up at 70 mph! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 22:45:49 »
'cyclists are fair game. But I always give horses a wide berth, why do they always rear up when you give them a toot.'

I trust that was a humourous response??
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:21:45 »
Police should be concentrating their resources on catching drink/drug drivers.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 10:00:27 »
approx 10 per cent of accidents involve someone on drink/drugs. please will police concentrate on the sober idiots who cause the other 90 per cent? ;D
You couldn't make it up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 10:31:18 »
our road surfaces haven't improved, full of pot holes, maybe it's just wigan  ;D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 23:45:27 »
our road surfaces haven't improved, full of pot holes, maybe it's just wigan  ;D
No it's the same in Notts. >:(

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 08:18:28 »
road surfaces, braking systems and tyre technology may have improved, but human bodies ain't! we still get pretty smashed up at 70 mph! ;)

With all the safety devices you should be pretty well protected at that speed. Unless you are a pedestrian. In that case what the hell are you doing in the road?

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 13:49:04 »
on a PEDESTRIAN crossing? ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 15:42:43 »
The whole speed camera thing makes me laugh.  I'd much rather that we had many more police out patrolling the roads and catching people for all sorts of poor driving, not just speeding.  But when the poor, law abiding, daily-mail reading, speeder starts whimpering about how speed cameras are just a stealth tax, well you have to chortle don't you?  If anything they are a tax on stupidity, a good way of pointing out those that really don't have the intellect to be allowed to be in charge of half a ton of metal going at speed in a public place ;).

As for the sad old SP argument that looking at your speedo distracts you and makes you more dangerous, not to mention that sticking to the speed limit is boring and stops you concentrating, ha ha; not only signal to remove licence, but also to remove voting rights I think!  ::)

With all the safety devices you should be pretty well protected at that speed. Unless you are a pedestrian. In that case what the hell are you doing in the road?

Joking or another example of the me-me-me society that is bringing this country to its knees? OK, OK, I'd accept it was a joke, but you'd be surprised at the number of people that really believe that cars have right of way* over everything else....the sort of people that also believe that they are good enough drivers to decide which laws are applicable to them.

*"right of way", of course, does not exist on Britain's roads.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 16:01:12 »
No it ain't no joke. Why do people just walk out on roads? When one of the silly s0ds gets knocked down. It is the motorist that is made to feel guilty, their car is checked to see if they can be milked for more fines, they are breathalised to see if they can be found guilty. Their eyesight can be checked. The tw@t that could not be bothered to make himself safe gets away with it and the rest of us have to pay for more anti collision gizmos.

Accidents do not have to be blamed on intellect, they are not done on purpose, they happen, just as they happen anywhere else in life. But you have given  me a laugh Si D. You don't drive a Micra by any chance do you.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 16:19:24 »
Someone gave me some advice once re pedestrians It was always think for them.Short of someone suddenly walking out in front of you I have found this to be good advice.The longer you drive the more you can anticipate a situation arising.

Driving at high speeds does not let this work for you though.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 16:41:09 »
Can anyone tell me why there are speed cameras on the A1 just south of Grantham?

Are there any schools or pedestrian crossings nearby ?

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 17:05:40 »
Can anyone tell me why there are speed cameras on the A1 just south of Grantham?
Well ya need something of intrest too look at in Grantham. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal