Author Topic: does it work?  (Read 1578 times)

ACE

• Hectare
does it work?
« on: November 04, 2008, 19:30:37 »
I have just come down out of the attic after topping up the insulation. Now I suppose I should take advantage of the cheap deals in cavity wall insulation. But does it really work. Somebody on here must have had it done. Did you notice the difference?

Solorn

• Quarter Acre
  • The Worlds Only 6ft Gnome
Re: does it work?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 19:43:19 »
I have cavity wall insulation in the house I'm in and I love it. My last house didn't have it and was always cold. This house has an ambient temp of 24 c in the winter with just 1 radiator. Well worth it I think, both for green reasons and for the pocket.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 19:51:11 »
You might allready know, but i'm sure you can get grants for cavity wall.

Neil

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 20:19:10 »
YES!!! Ace it certainly does, we found a big difference i am sure you will.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 20:31:09 »
You might allready know, but i'm sure you can get grants for cavity wall.

Neil

I don't do grants.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 20:45:14 »
we've noticed a huge difference, our direct debit actually went down last year  after we had it fitted :o

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 21:09:26 »
I mean if you contact you gas/electric provider then they might subsadise(sp) it.

Neil

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 21:23:58 »
We had it done in our old house about 20 years ago (then it cost £500 for a large 4-bedroom detached house - no subsidy).  We noticed the effect immediately, especially the reduction of noise from a busy road outside.

Had it done in this house about three years ago, in April, and again the effect was immediate.  Had a subsidy this time - paid £125 for a four bedroomed semi.  We have double glazing throughout, and the loft is very well insulated, and we certainly notice the difference.  I'd like to think our fuel bills are pretty well at a minimum without sacrificing comfort.
The Tuscan Beaneater

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 22:14:25 »
We have solid walls... but the extra lagging in the loft was well worthwhile...  ;D

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 22:23:10 »
I have noticed in recent months that two or three of my neighbours have had it done but I am afraid I am causing disgruntlements in our house as I still need every window open to let the fresh air in and the idea of cavity wall insulation, well I would simply suffocate...lol, although I am sure the family would welcome the idea (of CVI that is and not me suffocating....although......  ;D  ;D)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 11:59:41 »
insulation is fine, but air movement/change is more important to us and our woodburner! germs/disease seem to hate fresh air, the one thing you don,t get with double glazing and insulated walls.  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal