Author Topic: Advice - losing feathers  (Read 5863 times)

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
Advice - losing feathers
« on: September 25, 2008, 18:51:20 »
I need some advice. We have 4 rescue hens which we got about 3 weeks ago. One of them is losing feathers. We usually get 2 or 3 eggs a day but whether she is laying or not I'm just not sure. She's looking quite bare now, particularly on the wings and neck. She's also trying to spend more time in the house than in the run. We haven't seen the others bullying her and pecking her but who knows what happens in the house at night?

Having read my chicken books I'm wondering if she's moulting. Is that possible? How do I know it's that and not bullying or something more serious?

labrat

• Quarter Acre
Re: Advice - losing feathers
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 21:00:16 »
It is almost certainly moulting especially the way you describe around the neck and wings. If she's getting pecked badly you might very well see blood and cuts. Of course you do have to remember that hens do peck occasionally to determine who is in charge (the pecking order). Make sure she's eating normally. Also check for parasites like lice and mites. Chickens will look for cover when they are moulting because they aren't as well insulated. You should see within a week a two, new little feather sheaths popping up through the skin.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 09:25:37 »
When mine started losing feathers last year I put this down to moulting.  Which is usually the case in most instances.  They have never recovered from the feather loss and the vets had no idea.  They are still laying although not quite as well as they were.  This was the topic:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,41173.0.html
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 13:53:52 »
One of mine is moulting, or I think she is but just along the breast - is this moulting or is she pulling the breast feathers out in preparation to brood?

Jon

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 15:54:00 »
Well I've checked her and I can't see any mites or anything on her and the others seem okay.  Also she runs past the others so I suspect a little bit of bullying - although there are no red marks or blood on her.  Poor thing looks very bedraggled - I'll try and take a pic and post it for you to see.

Okay spotted the other one grabbing her feathers and yanking so I scared her off!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 16:44:55 by Smileyk »

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 16:44:24 »
Okay here are some pics:

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 16:56:21 »
I have just phoned my new friend Marilyn who is very experienced and she says that she is probally being picked on.She says that while they were caged some get into the habit of pecking others through boredom.Best to isolate her if you can.Hope this helps. :)

labrat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 18:31:27 »
She looks fine to me. Definitely moulting. It looks like on her back and neck that she is like a hedgehog which is the hard sheaths that are concealing the new feathers. She will start preening herself to knock off the sheaths and reveal the feathers.

I currently have 20 chickens, 3 ducks and a goose. In the past I've had as many 60 chickens at once. So in my experience I'd say that unless she gets cuts and bleeds from pecking I would leave her where she is because otherwise by separating her all you are doing is delaying the inevitable which is the successful creation of a stable pecking order.

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 19:19:51 »
Thanks for the help - it's much appreciated as we're new to this!

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 18:01:15 »
i agree def moulting don't forget these hens have never been out side before and 9 times out of 10 will moult within the first few weeks i have 22 ex bats i got them 7 weeks ago and they are just starting to recover from their moult don't worry and enjoy i give mine lime flour and acv during this time it seems to help them out
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal