Author Topic: blight and tomatoes  (Read 10168 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: blight and tomatoes
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2008, 20:35:20 »
I've been checking an Application for funding for carpeting - 3 quotations submitted - fine. 2 of them gave the carpet roll measurements in metres - and the room measurements in feet and inches ::)

And Brum peeps will remember when the market traders in the Bull Ring refused to sell their produce in kilos or grammes and a trader said he'd go to prison rather than do so?...a pound of taters is a pound of taters innit? Always was, always will be...

Don't think this attitude will die-the-death 'til the oldies do :-\

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2008, 21:10:56 »
Ms Maxwell,
                       Nothing unusual in that I think you will find most trades especially ones that work with timber will convert a metric measurement to imperial 'God save the Queen' ;)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2008, 23:32:00 »
carpet is manufactured (mostly in belgium, by the way) in either 4 metre or 5 metre widths.
Mr Smith, the reason (so I've been informed by a shopfitter mate) that most trades that involve cutting lengths of timber, plastic, flooring, etc convert to imperial measurements, is due to the occassional  '100 mil co*k-up' as it's known  (i.e. "I've bl**dy hundred milled this!) (too long/short) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2008, 23:48:42 »
There is very little difference in cup sizes across the countries, most are 8 flluid ounces,  the metric one is 250 mls but it so close it makes no difference, The tablespoon is the same too except for Australia. theirs is 20 ml all the others are 15. Their teasppon is the same as everyone elses which is 5 ml.

I cook in cups , Aussie, NZ, US and metric  recipes.. they all work together(apart form the tablespoon)

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2008, 23:52:04 »
Just got my eggs this evening in a tray which are both metric and imperial - either 5 rows of half a dozen or 6 rows of 5  ;D
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2008, 14:08:00 »
I still don't understand expressing the quantity of a substance such as butter in cups.  Fluid ounces is one thing, you can put liquid in a measuring jug, but I want to know the weight for butter etc.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2008, 17:09:05 »
Neither can I, it always used to be in ounces. You had a one pound packet so it was easy to estimate.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2008, 17:22:12 »
It's a stick of Butter!

nastybritishgardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2008, 18:29:13 »
it is easy you cut on the lines on the stick wrapper.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2008, 18:44:39 »
Well no blight so far and I actually brought home a small bag of ripe tomatoes, latah,stulpice, sub arctic plenty. If I get another blight free week I think I'll have some Roma too. Ah well, we'll see.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2008, 20:56:25 »
Never heard of a stick of putter before. I'm not sure what we used to call it (maybe a pack) but the whole family speak an odd sort of English at home.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2008, 21:11:50 »
Or is it a pat of butter?  We used to have a pair of wooden paddles with one side with a fluted-type decoration, for making cute little pieces of butter.
The Tuscan Beaneater

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2008, 21:39:57 »
I still don't understand expressing the quantity of a substance such as butter in cups.  Fluid ounces is one thing, you can put liquid in a measuring jug, but I want to know the weight for butter etc.
cups were used as a means of measurement when all you needed were proportions and folk didn't have scales! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2008, 03:01:29 »
A stick of butter is a 1/4 pound.Some US butter companies pack there butter in 4 X 4 ounce sticks just as we used to pack some margarines in 4  X 4ounce blocks.

Cooking in cups is very very easy, you have to forget the fluid aspect and forget weight. Every commodity in a cup has a different weight so it is simply a way of cooking by volume.

I found after I swiitched t o cups, there was no difference in my baking etc but I didn't have to waste time weighing and having to have the scale. It is a much quicker way. At first I thought it was stupid but was rapidly converted and would't switch back as it is too easy.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2008, 08:13:07 »
 :( :(Lost all my outdoor crop, G/H not bad but not as many as I hoped.  Funny thing though, I live in town (PLY) and got blight my son living in the country his are clear. ??? ???

Kingfisher

• Half Acre
  • My Allotment
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2008, 12:07:25 »
Hi I do not know if this may be a deterrent for blight on toms but I have had a plant at my lotty that I took from my other toms in my garden, my garden one have not been effected, but the one at the lotty has had bouts of blight but the toms keep making a come back, the only thing that I have been doing is pruning off any yellow or black leaves as soon as they appear and have been using nettle soup,

It seems that every time I put on the nettle soup it seems to revive the plant or at least seems to be keeping it at bay.

Has anyone else tried this.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2008, 12:45:08 »
I have looked it up and think I will try Ferline next year.  Does Ferline taste OK, is it for cooking or eating. 
I tried Ferline this year and have found it to be blight resistant, unlike the Gardeners Delight and Alicante that I also grew. The fruits are quite large with slightly pointed ends. The taste is a little bland, but perfectly OK for salads and for stews etc.
Keep Calm and Carry On

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2008, 16:58:28 »
Cooking in cups is very very easy, you have to forget the fluid aspect and forget weight. Every commodity in a cup has a different weight so it is simply a way of cooking by volume.

Well, that's understandable for liquids and things like sugar or flour, but butter??  Should the butter completely fill the cup, do you cut the corners off and squash it in to see?  Sorry I just don't understand. 

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2008, 17:53:51 »
A stick of butter is the amount left on a spoon-this is why I always use a knife

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2008, 18:00:12 »
Well my English husband was making a courgette chocolate cake from my NZ cook book today and we nearly came to blows over the measurements!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal