Author Topic: Update on 3 sisters  (Read 981 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Update on 3 sisters
« on: August 26, 2008, 22:30:42 »
Hello just back from hols. Wanted to give an update on my 3 sisters patch, where I was growing sweetcorn, pumspkins and drying beans. August was quite miserable here, but I got a few cobs of corn (but quite a disappointing result really, next year I will pay more attention to pollination), I have currently 5 pumpkins still getting bigger and I strode in yesterday, pulled out the corn and stripped off all the beans so now teh pumpkins are alone. I got a good crop of dried beans, enough for several recipes over the winter (some were still too tender so I will use them to make a traditional French pistou soup, which uses the end of summer veg).
So I think that the system works very well, the weeds were reasonably controlled and the veg seems to be quite good quality.
Note to self - do the same thing next year  ;)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

debster

• Hectare
Re: Update on 3 sisters
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 22:33:32 »
what is pistou soup would like to hear about it

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal