Author Topic: ALLOTMENT BANTER TAKE 2  (Read 2767 times)

organicandy

• Quarter Acre
ALLOTMENT BANTER TAKE 2
« on: July 11, 2008, 18:32:01 »
Hi all,    tried to get down the lotty again today in between rains to do some weeding,

3 mins drive to allotment

30 mins to get past gardens 1 and 2 (stopped for a chat)

45 mins to get past gardens 5 and 6 (stopped for a chat)

30 mins to get past lotty secretary (stopped for a chat)

5 mins to water toms

10 mins to cut 5 cabbage for the afore mentioned

3 mins to drive home again cos rain stopped play

what a wonderfull hobby we have

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
Re: ALLOTMENT BANTER TAKE 2
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 18:33:48 »
PMSL and on that note i don't think i will have time for an allotment!  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 18:57:58 »
true, sometimes we spend more time drinking tea and chatting than doing any work  ;D
but that's part of the relaxation  ;D

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 19:03:07 »
having a chat isnt a bad thing
had a chat with one of the guys on the plot last night about his new fence (i need to put one in cause of rabbits)
and i ended up coming away with some early tatties and a summer cabbage - will return the favour once my lates and winter cabbages are ready
lol
 :)

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 19:31:47 »
It sounds like a really nice community life, like something that was in all neighbourhoods 50 years ago, everyone offering advice, helping eachother out, swapping, I bet it must be great! Until i decide about having an allotment I am happy on hear with my virtual allotment community - thanks guys and gals!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 19:42:46 »
Mine is first off the main road.  So I don't get to speak to anybody,  plus it is fully enclosed.  Though the lottie shop is open 10-12 Sat & Sun.... get less done then.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 09:17:30 »
Mine is over the back fence, which cuts the travelling time! But not always the chat time...  :-[

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 18:24:58 »
I wish I was able to drive then I could take a plot on the large town allotment site & get to join in with the allotmenteering community in the way you describe...I am very grateful for my allotment which is only 2 minutes walk from my house but it is very lonely down there as only a tiny site with 11 plots & it is very rare to see anyone else when working down there.     

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 20:34:26 »
We too have a very friendly site and a lot more chatting/drinking tea than work gets done. Sometimes that can be frustrating, especially when you really need to get on but really, that's the best thing about it and is the heart of the community. Tomorrow, a few of us are deserting the Sunday morning ritual to go to the Hampton Court Flower Show together. Fingers crossed for the weather!

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 21:02:54 »
That is really nice! That's what i mean about a community. My sister has an allotment in Shropshire and there is a lovely man called Tom who realises my sister has her hands full with two little un's. So he pop's things in her bed for her, or he will call at her house and say something needs harvesting does he want him to help, and he has got to be 80 odd!

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 21:35:29 »
Sounds just like my lovely allottment neighbour Lenny who is 74 and spends most of his time on the site, and doesn't it just show with his fantastic produce and weed free plot! As I am not able to get there very often during the week (this full time job I have can be such a nuisance!) he keeps an eye on things for me and waters during dry spells. Lovely to know places like this still exist and long may it continue.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 21:38:08 »
I lived in the village for 7 years before I got my first lottie - I spoke to more people in the first month after that than I had for the entire 7 years previous. i got my second lottie last year in a neighbouring village and now have extended my village acquaintances three fold!

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 22:03:46 »
I smiled at this Organicandy, it really is what allotment life is all about. Our garden at home is quite private which is nice but sometimes it's nice to chat to other gardeners. That was one of the reasons for getting the allotment. Last night I popped up to the plot to harvest some spuds and salad for tea and came back about 1.5 hours later and it is only 5 mins in the car!
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

organicandy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 19:33:18 »
 Hi Glosterwombel, I'm glad you smiled when you read my thread,  i have so much to be gratefull for in having my allotment, i had to take 3 years off from gardening because of a illness i have, now I'm back down the garden my health has returned and i count everyday down there has a blessing,
         Truly my garden has done more for me in 4 months than 3 years of therapy has achieved,  anyone who suffers with nervous problems or depression should get themselves a allotment,(its good for the sole) sometimes i just sit there and listen to the wildlife and the birds, its amazingly therapeutic, god bless you all and keep up the good work, regards ANDY

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 19:38:56 »
I simply can't think of a nicer thing to do.

Well done to you Andy..

Physical health has kept us off out lotties this year but I might just go and sit with my chair on the black plastic after reading you post.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

organicandy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 19:51:27 »
Hi Jeannine, thankyou for replying to my posting,and i really hope you do go and sit on your black plastic, and I'm also sorry to read that your health hasn't been too good, hope you feel better real soon and enjoy your garden again, god bless, regards Andy

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 20:42:13 »
like many others i work Monday to Friday and am lucky to have Saturday Sunday off.

I enjoy my Saturday morning (7 to 9 most saturdays) as I am usually the only one there and the birds usually sing very well.  I probably don't get much vege (only half plot)an i am probably not at the allotment as much as I should  but Boy i do look forward to early Saturday morning. and i truely miss it on Monday morning.

Bill

P.S. any vege/fruit taken home is a bonus

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 21:18:13 »
That's so true. There's more to it than the produce although the produce is great. It's a whole way of life that is so different from the rat race that most of us endure. It's wholesome and healing. It rocks!!!!! 8) 8) ;D ;D

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 21:22:17 »
What is life without an allotment or a garden?  ;D
When life gets too much - go and watch the leeks growing!!!!!!!

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 21:25:03 »
I know the feeling well. It took me three hours to pick a few peas and Broad Beans today.

Frank the Italian wandered over for a chat. Lovely chap, can't understand a bloody word he says. Neck ache after 30 minutes of nodding and smiling.

Gordon, the onion champion who had my third plot but had to give it up came by. Can understand him and learnt a great deal about onions. Shame he had to give up after 55 years.

Liz the allotment manager brought two newbies to show them how my plots are set out. Spent 45 minutes answering questions like "Where does all the water come from when I need to water?" Answer... "Tap just there look!"

Now, where was I? Oh yeah, just packing up ready to go and collect the kids from school.

Didn't get a lot of work done but I loved it. I always come home feeling as if I "belong" if that makes sense.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal