Author Topic: How are your tomatoes doing!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 44379 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: How are your tomatoes doing!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2008, 12:44:46 »
Hot? Not me, Old Bird! And I'm not competitive - just struggling to get enough! And interested. Would truly love to know if you do get that much off any plant. And how tall/trusses you go for.

Typically, I get trusses of 20-30 fruit off say, Nectar.  That's 12-16 oz per truss. Typically 5 trusses. So that's 5lb. Not bright.

With Beefs, I find that I get up to 6 per bunch low down, & then 4,3,2 etc as you go up, ending up up with possibly 8lb. Never weighed.

And, Antipodes, the Cherries for stews & curries.

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2008, 13:00:08 »
I planted close too, but in staggered rows - and after the Mistral blowing for all its worth for three days I had to spend all yesterday afternoon rescuing the plants!  I hadn't anticipated being so lucky and getting so many large tomatoes, but we have been spoilt with more rain this year than normal. 

I now have a terrible DIY framework of canes supporting the branches - it certainly wouldn't win any prizes in a "best kept allotment" competition, but its doing the job just fine.

But I don't care - cos the prospect of all these tomatoes ripening (or not - green chutney here we come!) is wonderful.  Many thanks to the couple of seed swaps I took part in - we have just had our first very colourful tomato salad at lunch and it was deeeelicious. 

I have a selection of Black Krim, Black Seaman, Black Prince, Tigerella, Striped Turkish, two wonderful Italian ones and some Orange variety.  The Italian ones and the striped turkish are the most successful at the moment.

On the other hand, my courgettes are lousy - barely three inches long and very sad!  Still, you can't win them all!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2008, 19:07:32 »
I don't grow tomatos because last time lost most of my crop to blight and Only 2/4 of us eat them anyway. I bought some from the supermarket earlier this year a variety of cherry tomato called conchita and the non-tomato liking son kept pinching them from the fridge they were so nice (yes even from the supermarket). Has anyone grown any of these?

nittynora

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2008, 20:29:20 »
What climate zone are you in TGG? Britain is about Zone 8, apparently, so your results may not be comparable.

Zone 7 according to what he wrote on an organic gardening forum in a thread he started titled "Today is tomato seed starting day !! Dec 15 2007"
http://forums.organicgardening.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8041078301/m/3121001493/p/1

Baltimore.........US of A (judging by the "day 4" picture posted later in the above thread. ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2008, 21:34:29 »
Oh oh oh, tomorrow I shall harvest my first tomato of the year!!! Well, if not tomorrow then the day after. All organic, (apart from the feed & slug pellets) & outside (apart from the open mini greenhouse).

I shall photo it first...

I also have 2 sungella on the plot that will be ready within a day or 2.

It all starts here!!!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2008, 23:17:10 »
Salt pot on standby, i know you should'nt but i can't stop.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2008, 23:25:05 »
None for me yet, they've only just started flowering.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2008, 00:05:17 »
I don't understand all this competetive thing about who has more or is better than

Well said. Give me quality any day.

However, within reason, yield is important within bounds of reality as a healthy plant will support a greater number of fruit than a sick one. Jealosy and infighting though is normally reserved for the showbench and has no place here.

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2008, 00:52:47 »
Eristic there is no reason that good quality and good production have be exclusive.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2008, 11:56:19 »
Eristic there is no reason that good quality and good production have be exclusive.

IT APPEARS IT IS WITH YOU.  One of the great things about this Forum is we try to help each other, we share our methods of growing and try to pass on what knowledge we have to assist the people who are new to it.
I have asked about a few photo,s others have asked about your method with a view of trying to improve their knowledge of growing tomatoes none, have been forth coming.
Its my opinion that you are not on this Forum to assist any one but yourself

DAVYW.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2008, 12:05:29 »
Cool................??

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2008, 12:18:07 »
Cool................??

I am chilled Tim............Chilled...........well i am now.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2008, 17:17:15 »
this is a pic of one of our supersteak, producing a new plant from the leaf axil  :o

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2008, 19:32:59 »
davy I will be posting pictures this weekend.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2008, 19:38:45 »
TGG, is that a threat or a promise? ;D

valmarg

nittynora

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2008, 22:09:18 »
Have plants outside - gardener's delight (from seed), sungold (from ebay - couldn't find seed anywhere!), sub arctic plenty (from seed), hector F1 (seed from france) and golden sunrise (from seed).

All grown to between 4' and 5' tall.  (In my humble opinion) they seem to be doing well - plenty of small green fruits, none ripe yet.

Sorry no amazing tips........
Planted seeds, watered (probably too much or too little!), grew on inside then stuck out in may (we live in SE England)

No pics (sorry again....)
(a) haven't work out how ;D
(b) kids have "lost" camera  >:(

Will not feel inadequate though..... if others have tonnes of tommies then good for them.  If it's all just fantasy then good for them too ( but there must be plenty of other more suitable online outlets for that sort of thing...)

Now, where's the bl%$&y camera..... ???

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2008, 22:12:15 »
Sneaked a sungold while tidying up the plants this evening...... lots of Whippersnapper and Gartenpearle......  ;D

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2008, 12:15:14 »
getting there

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2008, 13:11:43 »
wow they look good fork
my biggest one is one of my purple russian, the photo doesnt do it justice just hope it ripens before i go away lol though at this rate it will still be green when i get back  ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2008, 13:14:58 »
Scousers - that's just a sideshoot that you missed?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal