Author Topic: Garden path  (Read 2317 times)

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
Garden path
« on: July 09, 2008, 16:13:31 »
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - I couldn't decide where to put it!

I am going to relay my garden path. Currently it has flagstones laid with big gaps, perfect for weeds, on top of plain earth (v. wobbly as you'd expect). It is a legacy from the past owners.

My new plan is to lift all the stones, lay weed-proof membrane and make a kind of stepping-stone path with gravel in between some of the reused flags. My question is, can anyone advise the best way of laying the flag stones especially considering there is currently no hardcore underneath them and they will be 'standalone' steps rather than a continuous path. I was considering flattening the soil underneath each stone and laying the flag stone with 3 or 4 inches of cement underneath - do you think this would work? Anyone have any experience of this?

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Re: Garden path
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 20:03:23 »
If the soil has been compacted for a long time it should work.

The problem is that soil tends to shift wnen waterlogged and the path starts to undulate.

For light use and a lifespan of 5 years before relaying. it should be OK

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 23:57:30 »
Sand is usually ideal for getting them level. As ants love sand you could go for a dry cement/sand mix which will harden when it gets damp.

The gaps between slabs always attracts weeds and it is hard to prevent soil getting between the gaps even with a weed membrane underneath some how the soil just gets there (like it does in the guttering around the house)

another alternative is to deliberately plant little herbs which do not grow to tall between flag stones.

They make a delightful smell when you walk on them and are very hardy.

Pretty rockery plants look nice too.

If you do go for clean lines. A regular spray with vinegar helps to keep the weeds at bay.

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 00:39:07 »
No way do you need 3 or 4 inches depth of base. 2 should be plenty. I would get the ground firm, whack it down with a lump of wood or even just jump up and down a bit. Use a mix of sharp sand and cement, ratio of 4:1 by volume. Wet it enough to hold together well without being sloppy, you need it to be able to support the flag obviously. Lay a full bed for each flag, not that 5 dollop rubbish. Stick the flag on, tap it down a bit and if the weather's hot cover it up with plastic or whatever if you can to stop the mix drying out too quick. A bit of a bodge but if you do it thoroughly it'll be a good job.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal