Author Topic: Tefal Electric Jam Maker.  (Read 17580 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Tefal Electric Jam Maker.
« on: June 28, 2008, 22:39:45 »
Has anyone got one of these?
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/tefal!REG-electric-jam-maker/F/C/storing-preserving/product/12613
I saw it advertised in the Lakeland catalogue and if it does what it says then I need one ;D
Can't help feeling it's too good to be true.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 22:45:07 by Emagggie »
Smile, it confuses people.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Tefal Electric Jam Maker.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 23:08:47 »
E-maggie I suspect this might be one of those things you buy fUll of enthusiasm that then ends up in the cupboard never used. I Actually find jam making pretty straightforward with a jelly pan so wouldn't use it. Others willno doubt disagree.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 09:10:40 »
I totally agree with you Grawrc.Been making jam for more years than i care to remember and its quite simple and straightforward in an a large jam pan.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 09:39:48 »
Thanks for the link, an interesting looking gadget.

The description and picture shows a small amount of fruit in the steamer basket and only three 1-pound jars - I think this will only make small quantities.

The speed of the 'traditional' process makes me wonder if there is a pressure cooker element in this, combined with an electric timer/heater.

At £80 you'd have to make a lot of 3-pound lots of jam to make it pay for itself.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 15:17:22 »
Having 'slept on it', I think you are all right. I just seem to struggle with the 'set' of jam. I've not made it often and when I have, I have made it a messy and difficult process. I should have enough blackcurrants and raspberries, I'll have another go and save the money.
Thanks people.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:33:19 »
What do you think is the most important piece of kit after the jam pan itself? I reckon a wide mouthed funnel, but then I'm a very messy cook.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 10:43:56 »
Barnowl, I would add a jam thermometer and make it three most important things - I struggle with deciding if I have reached setting point otherwise.  Like you I need the funnel! ;)

T.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:18:47 »
Got a thermometer, it seems to take ages to reach setting temp, and that's when I start to panic :o

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 12:39:23 »
Agree with pan, a decent very thick based stainless steel pan. Decent thermometer, (and be aware that most of the standard jam thermometers I've used have been a degree or so out) and funnel yes. Also though, there are a couple of other things that are handy - a very long handled 8 oz ladle, and a universal lid (mine came from Ikea) which is handy to pop on top of the pan when you have to turn the gas off to answer the door etc.
One thing I always do now, is fill a bowl with very cold water and have a cloth handy. This is in case the jam spits, to deal with burns straight away. Make it a rule NEVER to move the pan when it's got jam in it. Don't know about you, but sometimes I think the design of some of the jam pans on sale is bad, they really do look like they want to be poured from, and I wouldn't be strong enough to safely lift a pan full of boiling jam.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 19:52:00 »
Got a thermometer, it seems to take ages to reach setting temp, and that's when I start to panic :o

I know exactly what you mean ???  Do I leave it a bit longer, or is it ready now ???

I put small plates in the fridge and test at regular intervals.  A spoonful on a cold plate, count to 60, and drag my finger through the liquid.  If it leaves a trail, setting point reached.

I should have to say I tend to err on the 'underdone' , ie slightly sloppy stage, rather that toffee stage. ;D

Basically that's how we prefer it, and I only make it for us.

valmarg

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 20:01:08 »
Thanks for the tips gals. I can do this........ :-\

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 20:16:27 »
Thanks for the tips gals. I can do this........ :-\

Of course you can Emaggie.  Just remember you are making it for you and your family to eat, you are not entering a WI 'Best in Show' competition ;D ;D  It doesn't have to be perfect, but if you enjoy eating it, that's all that matters ;D

valmarg

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 17:08:24 »

Of course you can Emaggie.  Just remember you are making it for you and your family to eat, you are not entering a WI 'Best in Show' competition ;D ;D 

....yet!! ;D ;D ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 22:52:32 »
 ;D ;D ;D Grawc. Not ever not no'ow.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 14:06:19 »
Re getting the jam to set.Add a hand full of gooseberrys.Plenty pectin in these to set it.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 15:31:02 »
Thanks budgieb, all hints and tips greatfully accepted. :)

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 15:55:42 »
i just googled the jam maker and gusse what it put this thread up first, so i came back here! ;D
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 22:56:08 »
Oh crickey. Not too good for sales then? ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 23:05:54 »
I made the blackcurrant jam this evening :o. I added a few goosegogs as suggested and it eventually seems to have set. Horrible mess to clear away, but I've still got £90  ;D Taste on toast test tomorrow at breakfast. If HE dares to complain he will be wearing it for a hat  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal