Author Topic: Squash problems  (Read 1333 times)

ladybizzy

• Not So New ...
Squash problems
« on: May 31, 2008, 13:29:43 »
I am having probs with my cukes, melons,courgettes and squashes  :( 
The first leaves go discoloured, then it seems to go up to the next, then they wilt, and eventually the stem by the first leaves seems to shrivel - that heralds the end of the plant...I have never had any problems like this, any ideas as to the cause ?
Wondered if they had been too warm and wet in the green house?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Squash problems
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 17:14:20 »
My guess is neck rot for which there is no cure but there are things you can do to prevent it happening again.

The problem starts at soil level!

If the soil is too wet at this point the stem can rot particularly if there is a small depression in the soil at this point where water can settle.

I prefer to mound up the soil/compost at this point and water around the base of the mound, but not the actual mound. This way you avoid the 'over wet' situation.

I am conducting a little experiment this year with my cucumbers where I have grown the plants through a bottomless plastic pot ( cream container) and this is acting as screen to keep water away from the vulnerable area.(hopefully)

I will take a photo the next time I take my camera down to the plots.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Squash problems
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 18:32:06 »
I have my young plants under bottle cloches for warmth and slug and snail protection.  It has occurred to me that it will also protect the plants from getting too wet round the stem too - and the bottle tops are off to try and stop humidity building up too high.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal